connecting old HP printer to network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Sep 27, 2011.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have a mixed G and N home wlan network on which I have 2 W 7 laptops
    connected. One of these is a new laptop to replace an old XP laptop that
    was connected to an old but working fine laser printer using a printer
    parallel port.

    My problem:
    none of the new laptops have a printer parallel port. So I now have no
    way to connect my printer which only has a parallel connection.

    I was thinking of keeping the old XP laptop with its connected printer
    as a printer server on the network so we can still access the printer
    over the home network.

    Questions:
    1. Can the XP laptop (uses G wireless card) which I plan to put into a
    sleep state be set to "wake up" from the sleep state when it receives a
    print job for its printer? Also to wake up when it receives Windows updates.

    2. How?

    3. Is there another way to connect this parallel port printer to the
    network? How?

    Thanks, Jeff

    Jeff, Sep 27, 2011

  2. Jeff