    2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

    --
    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Alasdair

    Ingeborg Guest

    Alasdair wrote:

    > Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
    > to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
    > computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
    > female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
    >
    > Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
    > already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
    > 2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

    The main difference between IDE and the 2.5" version is the integrated
    power supply. The 2.5" version has 4 extra pins, containing +5V, +12V and
    ground. There are adaptors available, with 'normal' IDE and a power
    connector on one side, and '2.5"' IDE on the other.

    Ingeborg, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Alasdair

    Snøøp¥ Guest

    "Alasdair" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
    > to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
    > computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
    > female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
    >
    > Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
    > already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
    > 2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.
    >
    > --
    > Alasdair.

    Any Use?

    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36945&criteria=2.5

    --
    Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
    Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

    Snøøp¥, Aug 22, 2006
  4. Alasdair

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    Alasdair <> opined loudly:
    > Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
    > to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
    > computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
    > female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
    >
    > Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
    > already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
    > 2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

    A Quick Google gave
    http://www.mcsx.co.uk/shop/2-5-to-3-5-ide-adapter-kit.htm

    As an instance
    --
    Yddap

    Yddap, Aug 22, 2006
  5. Alasdair

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:49:28 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

    >Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
    >to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
    >computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
    >female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
    >
    >Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
    >already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
    >2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

    It wouldn't be the 2.5" Laptop HDD 44pin adapter to 3.5" 40pin + power
    that you are thinking of :)

    http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/la2tode3hadr.html
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPages/module.asp?ModNo=28724