connecting Cisco routers through their *AUX* ports

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by sqrfolkdnc, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. sqrfolkdnc

    sqrfolkdnc Guest

    Sorry, I posted this with an incorrect title. My apolgies, I'm new at
    this.

    I found this web page for connecting cisco routers via a rollover cable
    between their aux ports, and I was able to get PPP and SLIP talking, no
    problem.

    www .cisco. com/warp/public/793/access_dial/auxback.html

    www. cisco. com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration ...
    _example09186a0080093c7b.shtml

    (or search for "Connecting routers back-go-back through the aux ports")

    However, I could not get routing protocols to work on 2500s. For
    instance, OSPF made the async interface "passive" and going into config
    and specifying "no passive async 1" did not change that. Eigrp did not
    work either, I'm not sure exactly why. With a static route, it worked
    fine.

    Does anybody know if there is some other option I need to set to allow
    routing protocols over the aux serial port?

    Their example shows it with IOS 11.1. I tried it with OSPF on a pair
    of routers running 11.1 and a pair of routers running 12.0, and I tried
    it with EGRP on the pair of routers runing 12.0. All were varieties of
    2500s.

    sqrfolkdnc, Mar 8, 2005

  2. interface Async65
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer in-band
    dialer pool-member 1
    async default routing <<< do you have this?

    Barry Templeton, Mar 9, 2005

  3. sqrfolkdnc

    sqrfolkdnc Guest

    That's it!!! Thank you!! The cisco directions had "async dynamic
    routing" which does not work, but the "default" routing does work, for
    both OSPF and EIGRP.

    sqrfolkdnc, Mar 10, 2005