Connected to networks but can't browse internet or email

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello, I am a little bit unfamiliar with connecting the internet via a
    wireless network, the wired networks I have connected to in the past seem to
    have worked straight away.
    Basically I have just bought a laptop running XP home with a built in Ralink
    RT2500 wireless LAN card. I have achieved a connection to two networks- one
    PC running Windows 2000 with an Apple Airport (which has a WiFi'd apple
    notebook with working internet), and the 'Looseconnection' public WiFi in
    Brighton.
    I can connect to both networks and share folders with the Airport networked
    PC, but whatever settings are selected in Explorer's connections properties,
    I get 'The page cannot be displayed'.
    I am going on the assumption that no Dial-up & Virtual Private Network
    settings are added, and the LAN Settings are left unchecked apart from
    Automatically detect settings (but it doesnt work with this unchecked either).

    The laptop's firewall (ZoneAlarm) has been disabled, along with the PC's
    (temporarily).
    I have also tried combinations of checkboxes on the Wireless network key
    (WEP) settings on the laptop's network card properties but to no success.
    These default as all unchecked.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Guest, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Sorry I didn't mention that I connected to the internet straight away when I
    used the built in wired network card, its just the wireless connection that
    doesnt like the internet.

    Guest, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Guest

    Tanya Guest

    Check if you are using WZC(Wireless Zero Configuration), windows puts it on
    automatic and started by default.
    If you are using your wireless card software to manage the network then
    disable and stop WZC, it is in Services.msc in Computer Management. If you
    want to use Windows to configure your wireless make sure that is checked in
    the card properties, in the network folder, and keep WZC enabled.
    They can't be used at the same time. They will cancel each other out.

    Tanya, Dec 1, 2004