Connected Icon Showing, But In Reality Not Connected. Thoughts On ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    This regards a problem my son has been having on his PC which runs XP.

    He's not in my area, so I can't look at his machine, or really provide too
    many details.
    But, I thought, I'd at least ask this much.

    He is using Verizon DSL.

    Sometimes everything works fine, and at other times he can't connect to the
    internet or his verizon-mail account.

    But: this is the interresting thing. He has an icon on the bottom of the
    screen that when clicked on, shows
    that he is (apparently) connected just fine.

    The screen that then comes up shows connect time, bytes transmitted, etc.,
    and seems to indicate that he's actually connected.

    What would be next thing to check ? Might it just be that Verizon DSL in
    his area (Canton, Mass.) is just "flaky" ?

    Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

    Bob

    Robert11, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Hmm.. firewall perhaps? Or it could be a dns issue. Find the ip adres of
    a webserver and ask him to ping and traceroute if the problem occurs
    again.

    Jeroen Wijnands, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Unknown Guest

    Best bet since he's paying for it is to call Verizon tech support.

    Unknown, Mar 2, 2004