Connect to web server via wireless network from laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Vaughn Haybittle, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I have two machines:
    - A desktop running Windows 2003 Server
    - A Laptop running Windows XP Pro
    I also have an ADSL Router

    The server has 2 network cards:
    - An Ethernet card that connects directly to the ADSL router Via an
    Ethernet cable 10.0.0.10
    - A wireless network card that IO use to communicate with my laptop -
    i.e My Lan 10.0.0.11

    All IP addresses are allocated manually (i.e. not via DHCP)

    I am trying to set things up so that I can host the web sites I develop on
    the server and access them from my laptop either via an ip address (e.g.
    http://192.168.x.xx) or via their names e.g. http://website

    I have a few problems.
    - The first is that while both server and laptop can see each other via
    mapped network drives, and the server can ping the laptop, the laptop can
    not ping the server (either of it's network cards)
    - Secondly I am unsure of how to set things up in such a way that I can
    allocate each new web site a new ip address and have access the site via
    both its ip address and its name

    I suspect that only part of the problem may fall into the scope of this
    newsgroup, but any help on any of these issues would be much appreciated,

    Regards,

    Vaughn

    Vaughn Haybittle, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 5, 2006