    Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

    XP Pro, AMD 2200, Cable Modem etc

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Palindrome Guest

    Oh, it was only a typing mistake - should have been, "..I live a 9 hour
    drive from THE home.".

    Palindrome, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Hywel Guest

    Considering I can get from Hereford to Aberdeen in 8 hours, you live a
    bloody long way from your house.

    Why not just queue everything up before you go to work, forget about
    your email until the evening, and keep your job?

    Hywel, Apr 9, 2004
  5. : A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    :

    I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
    from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but it'll
    still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
    M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Hamman Guest

    driven through central london recenty? ;-)

    hamman

    Hamman, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Usenet-IS-Fun

    PuddleNuts Guest

    How sad is that to assume everyone is from the UK.

    PuddleNuts, Apr 9, 2004
  8. : In article <c56mt0$pn7$>,
    : says...
    : > Hi Group
    : >
    : > I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be
    able
    : > to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both
    POP
    : > and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
    : > home.
    :
    : Considering I can get from Hereford to Aberdeen in 8 hours, you live a
    : bloody long way from your house.

    I do indeed. That's a pretty good result ... you got a jet?
    I share a pad in Brighton and live in Winchester during the week but my actual
    house is in Glasgow.
    Granted I did travel cross country at 5.30pm (this Thursday) to miss the
    M23/M25 but the best I've managed even from Winchester is 7.5 hrs that said I
    always end up travelling peak times cos' of my job and have you seen the new
    cameras on the M6 that calculate your average speed over a distance?

    : Why not just queue everything up before you go to work, forget about
    : your email until the evening, and keep your job?

    I only get back to Glasgow every 4-6 weeks and haven't committed to relocation
    so don't have a phone line and mobiles are too expensive for net access
    although Orange were offering a decent deal a few weeks ago ... I digress

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  9. : °Mike° wrote:
    :
    : > A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    :
    : How sad is that to assume everyone is from the UK.

    I assume he checked my header ;-)

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Palindrome Guest

    You mean these: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004150977,00.html ?

    Palindrome, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Math aside, I'm still trying to figure out how you live 9 hours from
    home.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    My geography is not rusty at all. Brighton to Glasgow is
    about 450-460 miles; there's no way in hell it should take
    nine hours; I can do Glasgow to London in 6 hours (5 hours
    by train).

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    Please don't feed the trollette.

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  14. Usenet-IS-Fun

    PuddleNuts Guest

    How sad is that that he has the time to check everyone's header? He
    should be working on that lame-ass website!

    PuddleNuts, Apr 9, 2004
  15. : >: >: A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
    : >
    : >I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
    : >from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but
    it'll
    : >still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
    : >M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc
    :
    : My geography is not rusty at all. Brighton to Glasgow is
    : about 450-460 miles; there's no way in hell it should take
    : nine hours; I can do Glasgow to London in 6 hours (5 hours
    : by train).

    Mike what can I say you own a jet, never seem to get snarled in traffic or
    have never actually been down the south coast. I lived in Dagenham for a while
    which is about 430 miles and motorway all the way and I've never managed it in
    less than 7 hours in recent years. I drive at a steady 80 maybe 90 sometimes
    when no congestion or cameras so 430/80 = ~5.5 hrs that's without stopping for
    petrol or traffic problems and when was the last time you were on any motorway
    and had a clean run. Anyway it takes *ME* around 9 hours from Brighton to
    Glasgow which is if I recollect around 470. That said if I travelled
    M23/M25/M40/M42/M6/M74/M73/M8 through the night then I guess 7 hours might at
    a stretch be do-able at around 80-90 mph so that's what I try to do ... I hope
    that's to your satisfaction ;-)

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  16. Usenet-IS-Fun

    °Mike° Guest

    I apologise if I was appearing to question your veracity; that certainly
    wasn't my intention. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that
    my experience is MUCH different than yours -- my remarks were made
    in general disbelief in how long it takes *you*.

    °Mike°, Apr 9, 2004
  17. : >Mike what can I say you own a jet, never seem to get snarled in traffic or
    :
    : I apologise if I was appearing to question your veracity; that certainly
    : wasn't my intention. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that
    : my experience is MUCH different than yours -- my remarks were made
    : in general disbelief in how long it takes *you*.

    I drive like an old lady on diazepam ... I think you drive like a Londoner on
    speed ;-)

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004
  18. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Hywel Guest

    On December 21 last year I left The Pittodrie House Hotel, just north of
    Aberdeen (Chapel Garioch) at 11:30AM and was home, in Ross on Wye,
    before 8:00PM. That included one stop at what my brother describes as
    the worst service station in the UK. We travelled all the way at 75MPH
    or under because my brother's car (that I was following) had a problem
    with the wheel bearings. I may have touched 130 on the M50, but then
    that's not a real motorway, is it? There was also heavy snow between
    Aberdeen and Edinburgh-ish.

    We were lucky with the traffic - no jams apart for a 5 minute jam south
    of Aberdeen due to a crash. Manchester and Brum were easy. My satnav
    shows the distance to be 497.1 miles. Easy.

    Hywel, Apr 9, 2004
  19. Usenet-IS-Fun

    Hywel Guest

    Hywel, Apr 9, 2004
  20. : > : Considering I can get from Hereford to Aberdeen in 8 hours, you live a
[...]

    As I said a good result. In my experience I'd say an exception rather than a
    rule but then how long is a long thing?

    Usenet-IS-Fun, Apr 9, 2004