    network. The print file arrives at the printer and is printed.

    So, grab the printer, and connect directly to the W7 machine. Does it print?
    If so there is a networking issue.

    Gordon, Sep 22, 2012

  2. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    Installing the latest firmware would be a good move.
    Seeing it works with XP, perhaps there is an authentication issue
    between Win 7 and the print server, the sort of thing that might be
    fixed by a firmware update.

    victor, Sep 22, 2012

  3. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    The printer works fine when connected to a computer by USB.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 23, 2012
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    In case I haven't made it clear enough (in several attempts), I can
    access this printer wirelessly from other (XP) machines. I believe I
    also said that I set it up according to the Vodafone instructions, i.e.
    via 192.168.1.1.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 23, 2012
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Of course. As I said, I set the printer up according to the specified
    procedure, and the printer shows up as enabled Connected Equipment on
    the router.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 23, 2012
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I installed it. No change :-(

    Gib Bogle, Sep 23, 2012
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    The Vodafone guys suggested booting up in Safe Mode with network.
    Unfortunately the printer does not appear in the list when I do that,
    and adding a printer fails because the print spooler service is not
    running. It was not possible to start the print spooler because another
    service it depended on was not running ... I gave up up on it there.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 24, 2012
  8. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    The Vodafone guys on that forum have thrown in the towel.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 25, 2012
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Thanks EMB, always glad to get more suggestions. Unfortunately SNMP is
    not enabled.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 26, 2012
  10. You might like to verify for sure that the port is actually open
    through the Windows firewall. Try to use telnet to connect to that
    port. You may need to install telnet first - on my Vista box that is
    under Control Panel / Programs / Turn Windows features on or off.

    From a command prompt:

    telnet 192.162.1.1 631

    If telnet does connect, you can exit it using Ctrl-] then the quit
    command. If the connection fail or times out, then either the
    firewall is not open on that port, or the router is not set up to use
    that port correctly - you should try again after temporarily disabling
    the entire Windows firewall (and disconnecting your router from the
    Internet for safety if necessary).

    BTW Are you using the builtin Windows firewall, or the one in your
    anti-virus software (eg Norton)? I have had problems with Norton 360
    not opening ports when needed, and had to open them manually. But I
    do have a complex network that has Vista confused.

    Stephen Worthington, Sep 27, 2012
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Hi Stephen, this sounds very promising! I turned the telnet client on,
    then did 'telnet 192.168.1.1 631'. I just get a blank telnet window,
    there's no indication that it's connected. If I type something it comes
    back with:
    HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
    Connection: close
    Connection to host lost.

    Does this indicate a failure to connect?

    Gib Bogle, Sep 27, 2012
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I'm just using the built-in Windows firewall (Windows Defender?). I'll
    explore your suggestion of disabling it.

    Thanks

    Gib Bogle, Sep 27, 2012
  13. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Judging by what I see when I try a different port number (an immediate
    message saying the connection failed) it seems that the connection to
    port 631 is successful. Disabling the Windows firewall had no effect.

    This seems to indicate that the problem is with the printer, not the router.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 28, 2012
  14. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    No, That indicates that you *did* connect. The server in the router
    returned the 404 error that you see.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 28, 2012
  15. That conclusively proves that the firewall is not blocking the port.
    You are getting a response from some sort of server software that does
    HTTP protocol (like a web server, but lots of other things also use
    HTTP protocol).

    Since it understands HTTP, you might like to now try with your web
    browser - use this URL:

    http://192.168.1.1:631

    and see if you get a response.

    Stephen Worthington, Sep 28, 2012