    Right now I am reading on how to create vlans in the CatOS using the set
    vlan command. But then where do I go from there to enable Vlan routing?

    Thanks again for your help!

    Forrest, Jun 27, 2004

  2. :I am trying to configure Vlans on our Cat6509 with MSFC card. On the Cisco
    :website some parts tell me to use something called VLAN databse mode, and
    :eek:thers tell me to use Global config mode on the MSFC.

    The 6509 + MSFC can be run in split mode (CatOS on switch, IOS on MSFC)
    or in pure IOS mode. The VLAN creation methods are different between the
    two modes.

    :Right now I am reading on how to create vlans in the CatOS using the set
    :vlan command. But then where do I go from there to enable Vlan routing?

    If you are using split mode, then when you create a VLAN in the CatOS
    portion, then back over in the IOS portion you can start referring to
    an interface named vlanXXXX where XXXX is the vlan number. For
    example, interface vlan99 . You then do all the regular things with
    that interface in IOS mode, such as assigning it an IP address and
    assigning access groups to affect it.

    Walter Roberson, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Forrest

    DM Guest

  4. Forrest

    Forrest Guest

    Thanks guys. I didn't know that there was such a thing as split mode. But
    now that you describe it, that's what we have. I had made vlans in the
    CatOS, but never made the jump into IOS on the MSFC. Now it makes perfect
    sense.

    Thanks again

    Forrest, Jun 28, 2004