    What do sipgate get out of it if I get an account for free?

    Many Thanks
    Roger

    Roger V, Jun 11, 2005

  2. You can choose a number from any area you wish, be it a Birmingham 0121
    number or London 020 number for example. Some number ranges offer you
    list of numbers to choose from.

    This number allows anyone to call you just like any other number direct
    to your PC or VoIP phone or standard phone attached to an ATA (Analogue
    Telephone Adaptor). They can call you from a BT line, cable line in
    fact any line capable of making phone calls, at the standard rate for
    calling a 'normal' UK landline. Callers from several other VoIP
    providers can call your Sipgate number for free.

    You also have the option to switch on the voicemail service.

    Sipgate hope you will add credit and make calls to non VoIP numbers, I
    am sure they also earn a small amount of revenue from the incoming call
    terminating on their network as do BT and cable etc.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Roger V

    Roger V Guest

    Hi again,

    Ive just signed up for sipgate, but having trouble understanding a few
    things, not least what software to use with the service? I thought I could
    use iaxComm, but is that correct, of do I need something else?

    TIA
    Roger

    Roger V, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Roger V

    Ivor Jones Guest

    You get a free geographical UK phone number from any area code in the UK.
    You do not have to live in the area of the code you want, for example I
    have a London 020 number and a Birmingham 0121 number but I don't live in
    either area.

    You get a free voicemail service, although I must point out that this is
    still officially in beta mode and does lapse into German from time to
    time, but usually it's ok..!
    You can use X-Lite with a computer, but the system works a whole lot
    better if you have an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) with a normal phone
    plugged in, that way you don't have to leave a PC on all the time,
    although obviously a router has to be on and connected.
    They hope you will add credit (the system works much like a pay as you go
    mobile phone) and call non-Sipgate numbers, but you don't have to do this.
    If you don't add any credit you can only call other Sipgate (and other
    VoIP networks with which there is a peering agreement, see the list on the
    website) numbers and also freephone (0800) numbers.

    You can receive calls from any phone number in the world, it looks to the
    rest of the world like a normal phone number, which really it is.

    Any more questions please ask.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Roger V

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Roger V wrote:

    [snip]
    The PC software that works best is X-Lite, you can download this from the
    Sipgate site. I've not tried anything else as I use normal phones with an
    adaptor. Actually I have the lines feeding into my PABX, but it works the
    same way..!

    Email me with your number if you want to try a test call.

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Roger V

    Roger V Guest

    Hi again Ivor, yes I have it running OK now with X-Lite, but I wonder if you
    know whether I could register a second number with sipgate and get X-Lite to
    work with both numbers at the same time? ie, if anyone rang either number,
    both would cause the computer to alert me to the incoming call? Is this
    possible with X-Lite do you know?

    Thanks Ivor....

    Roger V, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Yes, you can regisiter for another number from Sipgate, you then just
    add the details into x-lite as proxy1. Then when someone calls either
    number x-lite will ring out.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Roger V

    Roger V Guest

    You don't happen to know which codec is best used with sipgate do you? I
    see 'G711U' 'G711a' 'GSM' 'iLBC' and SPX. I found that A-Law was the best
    with iaxcomm, but it seems that A-Law is not availbale with the software?
    Comments anyone?
    Thanks

    Roger V, Jun 11, 2005
  9. Roger V

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Roger V wrote:

    [snip]
    G711a or u is the best quality out of those.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  10. G711a = A-Law
    G771u = U-Law

    I would say G771u, then G771a, GSM etc as per the codec order in X-Lite.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 11, 2005
  11. Roger V

    Ivor Jones Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    [snip]
    Please don't think I'm moaning just for the sake of it, but a little
    snipping would be nice here..! 80+ lines repeated just to add 3 is a
    little OTT.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  12. No worries.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 11, 2005
  13. [SNIP]
    G.711 a-law (G711a) is the normal European standard, so is best to
    use in the UK as this doesn't require conversion to interface to
    telcos.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Jun 11, 2005
  14. VO-IP is crap at the best of times. It breaks up and sounds terrible, so my
    advice is steer clear f it unless you are forced to use it!

    Steven Hartley, Jun 11, 2005
  15. Roger V

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Steven Hartley wrote:

    [snip]
    By what experience do you base this statement..? It's fine here.

    <pedant>
    BTW the correct acronym is VoIP (note lower case o).
    </pedant>

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  16. Roger V

    Graham Guest

    So does that make you a PitA or a PiTA?

    Graham, Jun 11, 2005
  17. Roger V

    JuliusP Guest

    Strange comment, since lots of supposedly "regular" calls are routed
    over Carrier VoIP infrastructures

    JuliusP, Jun 11, 2005
  18. Roger V

    TheDragon Guest

    A little off topic, how have you got the Sipgate connected to your PABX? I
    have an Avaya IP system and Cisco CM 3.4, could I connect these to Sipgate
    and get incoming calls and outgoig calls via Sipgate??

    TheDragon, Jun 11, 2005
  19. Roger V

    Ivor Jones Guest

    TheDragon wrote:

    [snip]
    Simple, I just took the analogue outputs of the Sipura SPA-2000 ATA and
    connected them to two of the incoming lines on the PABX. They appear just
    like any other line. I don't know the equipment you've got so can't advise
    specifically on the way you'd need to do it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005
  20. Roger V

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Whichever you prefer. I'm not going to waste time on it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 11, 2005