confused about Network set up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Johnson, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Paul Johnson

    Paul Johnson Guest

    I am running win98 with a PPPoE dsl to my provider. This gives me a dynamic
    IP number every boot-up. I have NO router as this is the only computer here.
    My Firewall is Zone Alarm Free.
    If I go into my network control panel and select properties for my TCP/IP
    3com Ethernet I see several tabs in the new window. It is the following
    settings in this window that confuse me.

    1. In the IP Address tab my provider told me to select "Specify IP address"
    and type in 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0. So I did - but before that the bullet
    was in "Obtain IP address automatically" and some other IP number was in
    there presumably a provider somewhere - I do not know.. The question here is
    why alter it from auto to specify?. My computer must have run for ages
    perfectly on this other number (which now I have forgotten). Does it make
    any difference at all?
    2. In the Gateway tab I was told to clear out anything that was in there and
    leave it all blank. Is that correct? Or should I put 192.168.0.2 in there?
    3. In the DNS Configuration tab I have the bullet in ENABLE DNS and the host
    as "computer" and the rest blank.

    I would appreciate help on these three settings as I feel my computer does
    not now perform as well as it did before I started altering them. Accessing
    my first website of the day takes a long time (about a minute) to connect
    and I see the message near the bottom saying detecting a proxy server. I
    never knew I had a proxy server before. After this initial slowness browsing
    is quicker. I realize there may be other reasons for the slowness. (Bye the
    way - I have no virus or key logger etc. present to slow me down).
    I might add that the help operators I spoke to at my internet provider could
    not give me a decisive answer saying that as long as I could browse the
    internet and do email that was all they could help me with.
    Sorry for the rather lengthy message. And I thank in advance anyone who
    gives me help.
    Paul

    Paul Johnson, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Paul Johnson

    Unk Guest

    Go here, http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks , take the tweak test, and make
    the recommended changes. The MTU and RWIN settings are the most important.
    Check to see if the MTU and RWIN are optimized for the DSL modem.
    MTU-1492 RWIN-32767
    If you need to download "DrTCP.exe", here's the link.
    http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html
    After making the changes, you need to reboot for them to take effect.

    Also see: Navas Cable Modem-DSL Tuning Guide
    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

    Networking resources:
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
    http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
    http://smallnetbuilder.com/

    Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

    Unk, Oct 8, 2004