Confirm 70-300 format?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Leigh Kendall, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Will be starting to upgrade my current MCSD to MCSD for .NET. First on my list is 70-300 and I was just wondering if anyone could confirm the general format of the exam.

    From what I've read in the newsgroups here, it's comprised of a handful (3-4) case studies with a series of questions? I remember the 70-100 had case studies, but can't remember the count; been too long now <g>.

    I also quickly scanned the Transcender exam I'm using for prep and it too had just 3 case studies with a series of questions. Is this really it? I guess I was expecting a lot more on MSF, but perhaps it's required to answer the questions properly?

    Anyhow, any tips/advice would be appreciated. I'm schedule to take the exam a week from today.

    Thanks!

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Leigh Kendall

    Rich Guest

    The exam I took was three case studies with approx. 10-12
    questions on each one. There's a separate time limit on
    each case with a separate review page for each case. So,
    after you've answered the questions, you can go back over
    your answers only for the case you're currently in - you
    can't change answers for the previous cases.

    Personally, I did not feel a lot of time pressure on this
    one - but I do think it paid off to review answers
    carefully. I won't say there's trick questions - but read
    the wording carefully and really think through your

    You will need to know MSF stuff...but nowhere near as much
    as books like the Microsoft Study Guide or the Osborne
    Study Guide would have you believe. The cases present a
    scenario - some enterprise has existing hardware and
    software and wants to upgrade their systems, for example.

    You need to make decisions about things like whether they
    need web apps or windows apps, or both. What parts of the
    system need changing/upgrading and then how those new
    components will need to integrate with peices that are not
    being changed. Then they might ask you about
    security/authentication, ORM, deployment, or normalization
    kinds if things that relate to the case study, etc.

    I found MSDN articles on these different areas to be a
    good source of information. The Exam Cram book was pretty
    good, too.

    Hope that hlps and Good Luck!

    for .NET. First on my list is 70-300 and I was just
    wondering if anyone could confirm the general format of
    the exam.
    comprised of a handful (3-4) case studies with a series of
    questions? I remember the 70-100 had case studies, but

    Rich, Sep 5, 2003

  3. What is the review page??
    Thanks,
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Thanks Rich!! Exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to confirm the
    general layout of the exam. Like I mentioned, I was a little taken back when
    I first opened the Transcenders and glanced at them only to find three
    questions. Wanted to make sure that the Transcenders weren't sending me down
    the wrong path...

    I used the MS study guide on 70-300 to review and that was ALL MSF. As
    usual, the MSDN library was also helpful.

    Thanks!

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Glenn D. Crosse, Sep 5, 2003
  6. From what I understand, all the exams for the MSCD.NET are pass/fail.

    I think that only the newer exams will go back to some sort of
    "standardized" scoring method across the board, but I haven't bothered to
    look up the details. Pass is good enough for me...

    Unfortunately, most people don't even seem to care about the certs, let
    alone what your score was...

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 5, 2003
  7. Leigh Kendall

    Rich Guest

    As far as I know, it's strictly pass/fail - no score

    Rich, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Leigh Kendall

    Kyle Guest

    Transcender is good.

    Kyle, Sep 6, 2003
  9. passing is better... :)

    I have to say, I've used transcender from day one over six years ago for the
    WinArch MCSD and 13 exams ago as a final review and they've never
    disappointed me.

    Thanks for the confirmation...

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 6, 2003
  10. I took the test this morning.
    It was pass/fail.
    I got the pass !!!
    Thanks all.
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Sep 9, 2003
  11. Leigh Kendall

    Ray Guest

    I took the 70-320 on the 9th, and it gave a score now. I
    had seen on the MS site that they were changing back, so
    maybe they just haven't gotten to this test yet....
    dissapointing as its the one I plan to take saturday. I
    like knowing what areas I should revisit after the test.
    Passing the test is good, but becoming better is well,
    better.

    Ray

    Ray, Sep 12, 2003