Configuring Multiple IP Addresses?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MS, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    It looks to me like Windows XP Pro will only allow one to configure one IP
    address (including "automatic" as a choice, of course) for a wireless
    connection. Is there a way around that, to specify more than one IP
    configuration, for different connections? If not, is there a 3rd party
    utility that will do this?

    For instance--I have a wireless printer router. (I think D-Link DP311-U),
    connected to a printer. I do not have a router, so it is set to ad hoc mode.
    For a computer to connect to it to print, it has to connect in ad hoc mode,
    but also the computer needs to have a specified IP address, very close to
    the one of the printer. It will not work with the IP address set to
    automatic, it has to be specified.

    All my computers are laptops, and I also use them to connect to various
    wi-fi networks. The IP address specified to connect ad-hoc to the printer,
    definitely will not work to connect to the Internet (access point
    connection, of course). For most Internet connections the automatic setting
    will work, although I find for some connections it works better with a
    specified address, although certainly not with the one specified for the
    printer.

    It is a hassle every time I wish to print with the wi-fi printer at home, to
    have to manually change the IP address of the wireless connection, and later
    change it back again when I wish to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi.

    Is there any way to set more than one wireless connection, with different
    properties, different IP specification, etc., for one wireless adapter? If
    so, I haven't figured out how to do it. One can create many different
    dial-up connections using the same modem, I don't understand why one cannot
    do the same with one wireless adapter, create different connections using
    the same wireless adapter. Is there any way to do that?

    If not, I sure hope they fix that in the upcoming new version of Windows
    (Vista). In the meantime, are there any work-arounds? Are there any third
    party utilities that will do this-make it easy to switch between different
    wireless configurations (including IP addresses) for different connections,
    with the same adapter.

    (I guess one solution would be to get a separate wireless adapter for the
    printer, than one uses for Internet. But there really should be a way to to
    this with one adapter.)

    Thank you for your response.

    MS, Oct 2, 2005

  2. you could use a batch file

    @echo On
    netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Connection" static
    aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 255.255.255.000 eee.fff.ggg.hhh 1
    netsh interface ip set dns "Wireless Network Connection" static
    iii.jjj.kkk.lll
    netsh interface ip add dns "Wireless Network Connection" sss.ttt.uuu.vvv
    netsh interface ip add dns "Wireless Network Connection"
    www.xxx.yyy.zzzObviously put the relevant values in theresave a file for
    each connection eg cnnct1.bat cnnct2.baththphilip ashley"MS"

    Philip Ashley, Oct 2, 2005

  3. MS

    Malke Guest

    (snip)

    You can create a second IP address/profile. Open the Network properties
    applet and right-click on the LAN entry for your wireless adapter.
    Left-click on its Properties. Now double-click on the entry for TCP/IP
    to get its Properties. You will see an Alternate Configuration tab.
    Enter what you want there. To illustrate:

    My son's laptop is assigned a static IP 192.168.2.xxx at school. My
    network at home uses DCHP for all machines in the 192.168.1.xxx
    network. With the alternate configuration set up, there is an
    approximately 30 seconds' wait at school while the machine searches for
    a DHCP server; when it times out it switches over to the static IP.
    Works very well.

    If you have more than one network profile that needs to be set up, use
    third-party network management software. Here are links to a few of the
    most well-known ones:

    http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
    http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
    http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 2, 2005
  4. MS

    MS Guest

    Yes, I know that you can set an alternate IP address, I forgot to mention
    that. You can also configure some factors of a particular wi-fi connection,
    such as the SSID and encryption, etc. However, unfortunately, you cannot
    seem to set the IP address for the connection.

    I guess the idea is that if you set the alternate IP address, Windows will
    automatically find out which one works for that connection. I find, however,
    that that very often does not work, in my case at least. Sometimes the
    alternate address is set when it should be the primary one, and vice versa.

    There should be a way to manually set the IP address (including of course
    the choice "automatic") for each connection. I hope that's fixed in the new
    version of Windows. (If that is possible to do in XP, I'd appreciate it if
    someone told me how.)

    Thank you for the links to the third party utilities. I'll take a look at
    them.

    MS, Oct 2, 2005
  5. MS

    Malke Guest

    I don't know why you don't think you can't set the IP address manually.
    As I said in my illustration, on the Alternate Configuration I have my
    son's laptop manually set to 192.168.2.150 and on the regular
    configuration he gets his IP address from the DHCP server on the
    192.168.1.xxx subnet. However, if Alternate Configuration is too
    unwieldy, then of course you should use a third-party program. Another
    thing to look into is what wireless manager has come with your laptop
    (if any). My IBM Thinkpad has an excellent network manager, but then of
    course IBM's are optimized for business use. If your laptop didn't come
    with a network connection manager or it is inadequate for your use,
    then one of the third-party programs will be best.

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 2, 2005
  6. MS

    MS Guest

    Of course you can, but it is very unwieldy to do so, every time you change
    connections.
    It's not a matter of being unwieldy. As I wrote, I have configured an
    alternate IP configuration. The problem is--it didn't work.

    You set an alternative IP setting, but (as far as I can see), there is no
    way to specify which IP configuration (normal or alternate) goes with which
    connection. So, Windows tries to determine itself which of the two settings
    to use, when to switch from the primary to the alternate configuration, etc.
    With me, that hasn't worked--it's switched to the alternate configuration
    when it should be the primary one, and vice versa.

    I'm glad it has worked for you, however.

    It sure would be nice if the profile for a particular network would include
    IP settings! I hope that is in the next Windows version!

    Another

    MS, Oct 3, 2005
  7. MS

    Martin S. Guest

    Dump the wireless access point, get a wireless router... or do just love to
    complicate your life...

    Martin S., Oct 4, 2005
  8. MS

    MS Guest

    I don't get your reply at all, Martin.

    Exchanging one piece of equipment for another doesn't do anything for the
    need to connect to different ip addresses, some of which need (like the
    printer router) (or work better with-like some wi-fi sports) manual
    configuration, rather than DHCP.

    MS, Oct 9, 2005