Configuring multiple gateway IPs on a single VLAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tristan, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Tristan

    Tristan Guest

    On our previous Avaya P550 switches, a virtual interface was defined by
    the IP address. You would then associate that interface with a VLAN.
    For example, we had interfaces that looked like this:

    10.10.1.1 - VLAN 43
    10.10.2.1 - VLAN 43
    10.10.3.1 - VLAN 43

    On our new Cisco 6500's, the interface is defined by the VLAN. Now we
    have an interface called "VLAN 43", but we cannot get run all three
    gateway IP's on it.

    VLAN 43
    ip address 10.10.1.1
    ip address 10.10.2.1 secondary
    (Can I have more than one secondary IP address? What is the limit?)

    Any ideas on how to make this work? I have a theory about using HSRP
    groups on that VLAN interface. Or can I just use secondary IPs?

    VLAN 43
    ip address 10.10.1.2
    standby 1 ip 10.10.1.1
    standby 2 ip 10.10.2.1
    standby 3 ip 10.10.3.1

    Will this work? It is strange because HSRP is used to provide a
    redundant gateway, and in this case it is running on a single router.

    Tristan

    Tristan, Mar 7, 2005

  2. :On our new Cisco 6500's

    :VLAN 43
    :ip address 10.10.1.1
    :ip address 10.10.2.1 secondary
    :(Can I have more than one secondary IP address? What is the limit?)

    You can have many secondary IP addresses. I have never heard of
    a limit.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Tristan

    Hansang Bae Guest

    How about NVRAM? We have 6500s with so many crypto stuff in it that we
    had to use nvram bypass command. Also, do secondary addr's count
    towards max number of IBD?

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 10, 2005