configuring Multilink PPP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by RTR, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. RTR

    RTR Guest

    Hi,

    I need some info on configuring a cisco 2811 with 3 T1 lines bound as
    one, as far as I have read everywhere it seems like Multilink PPP is
    the best options.

    Can someone give me me some information and sample confg on this topic.

    questions:

    1) Can Cisco VWIC 2MFT-T1 - will this wic be good for the config.(it
    has 2 physical ports) as I would need 2 of these for 3 T1's

    2) After configuring Multilink PPP on my router do I need to ask the
    provider to configure their side as well, as my router will only access
    internet.

    3) what exactly is the config I need and what config I need to give the
    provider.

    All responses are really appreciated.

    Thanks

    RTR

    RTR, Jan 3, 2006

  2. FYI, multilink PPP must be configured on both sides and all 3 T1s must
    be on the same device (and DS3 for the provider) so make sure you order the
    T1s as "bonded".

    Regards,
    Steve
    www.networking-forum.com

    www.networking-forum.com, Jan 3, 2006

  3. RTR

    Darren Green Guest

    RTR wrote:

    snip
    Hi RTR,

    I don't know if this is any help to you but I happened to do something
    similar a few weeks ago for a UK customer, albeit with 2 x E1's. FYI the
    Telco provided me with a sample config so I recommend that you speak to
    yours to clarify the position.

    1) I used a 2801 with the VWIC 2MFT-E1 - you shouldn't have a problem
    with a T1. I used 1 x existing 3640 for my config.

    2) The Telco configured their end at the same time I did mine. They
    stated that the Multilink had to be done this way as you can hit
    problems if you do them out of sync.

    3) My config was as follows:

    Note that the Serial interfaces are assigned to a Multilink group. The
    Serial Interfaces have no ip address. The Multilink interface has 1 x IP
    address that is for the Multilink group.

    !
    controller E1 3/0
    framing NO-CRC4
    channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31
    !
    controller E1 3/1
    framing NO-CRC4
    channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31
    !
    interface Multilink1
    ip address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.252
    no cdp enable
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink fragment disable
    ppp multilink group 1
    !
    interface Serial3/0:0
    bandwidth 2048
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    no cdp enable
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1
    !
    interface Serial3/1:0
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    no cdp enable
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1
    !

    Hope that helps.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Jan 4, 2006
  4. RTR

    Darren Green Guest

    Just for clarification, the statement below doesn't make sense. It
    should have read - I used a 3640 with the VWIC not a 2801. Apologies for
    any confusion in my earlier reply.
    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Jan 4, 2006