Computers Not Showing in My Network Places. - Damit!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,
    Im setting up an Ad-Hoc Wireless Network between 2 computers. Ill give
    information about each computer.

    +==========Main Computer==========+
    Windows XP SP2
    D Link DWL 510 Wireless PCI adapter
    Broadband Internet connection via USB Modem
    Printer
    +==========Other Computer==========+
    Windows XP SP2
    D Link DWL 510 Wireless PCI adapter
    No Internet connection
    No Printer

    I am using the Dlink software to configure the wireless network. Below is a
    link to a screenshot of my ip settings:

    https://www.sharemation.com/supershare/newsettings.jpg

    I have shared all the drives on both computers to be available on the
    network. I have run the network setup wizard on both pcs using the correct
    SSID (home) and used the correct settings. On both computers i have also gone
    to 'Wireless Network connection properties' i have clicked on General Tab,
    Selected 'Internet Protocool' and clicked properties. I have input the same
    ip information respective for each computer that you see in the screenshot.

    PROBLEM: On the 'main computer' under 'My network places' and then - 'view
    workgroup computers' the only computer that shows is the main computer again.
    Not the other computer on the network!
    On the 'other' computer under 'My network places' and then - 'view workgroup
    computers' Not the other computer on the network!
    I cannot use the main computers internet connection from the other computer
    even though this is what i configured with the network setup wizard!

    Can anyone please help! Why is this happening?! the network shows as
    connected.

    Thanks if you have any thoughts on solviung this.

    Guest, Jan 29, 2005

  2. 0. Cant view the screen shot
    1. did you run the network setup wizard, or the wireless network setup
    wizard?
    2. when you set the ip address for the 2 desktops, what did you set them to?
    You know they have to be different dont you? set one to 192.168.0.1 and the
    other to 192.168.0.2
    3. make sure each computer is named differently. Right click on my computer,
    click properties and set you name, not just the discription. Also while you
    are there make sure they are both set to the same workgroup name.
    4. make sure you have file and printer sharing turned on.
    5. is your broadband moden ethernet or USB? if usb you might have to use a
    proxy program, like wingate, to share internet. If its ethernet make sure
    the desktop that is directly connected to the modem has internet sharing
    enabled. double click on your wireless connection in the system tray. click
    on properties, click on the advanced tab, and check the share internet
    connection box.

    6. If this does not work, and even if it does, my best sugestion is to go
    buy a cheap wireless router and connect it to your modem and stop using
    Ad-Hoc, which is mostly unstable, IMOHO, anyways.

    Robert....

    Robert....

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    The screenshot should work, could you try again?
    I ran the Network Setup Wizard.
    I set the ip address of the desktops to 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 but i
    will try your suggestion.
    The computers are definately named differently.
    File and printer sharing is on,
    Its usb but even so i still need to access each computers files.
    This should work, but its not. I would consider buying a router but ive had
    this network up and running before, its just that both computers have been
    fomatted recently so it had to be re-setup.
    Any other ideas? If i get a router, could someone reccomend me a cheap one
    for this purpose from this website? www.komplett.co.uk

    Thanks

    Guest, Jan 30, 2005
  4. there is something funny in your screen shots. They are both associated to
    the same bssid, like they were trying to connect to a router. Ill do a
    little experiment here and get back to you.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ok thanks

    Guest, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jan 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    try turning the guest account on in user accounts.. dunno why but when you
    have this turned off it hides the computer from the network... lemme know if
    this helps... i had the same problem... i changed this and it was fine
    after...

    Guest, Jan 30, 2005
  8. Guest

    Paul Smith Guest

    Are you sure that the subnet mask setting is correct?
    Try 255.255.255.0

    Regards,
    Paul Smith

    Paul Smith, Jan 30, 2005