    2. Is it possible the Lynksys router (several years old) needs to be replaced?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Update:

    I rebooted the WinXP machine, and everything seems to be working fine now.
    Go figure.

    Scott

    Scott, Apr 30, 2008

  3. Scott

    James Egan Guest

    If that model of router gets its knickers in a twist, you need to
    switch it off and leave it off for several minutes before switching it
    on again otherwise the problem will likely remain.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Apr 30, 2008
  4. Hi
    Local trouble on LAN are usually Not a Router problem. The LAN uses the
    switch part of the Router which is a passive device and possibly the DHCP
    for IPs.
    If it happen again check the computer's IPs to make sure that it is Not a
    DHCP trouble.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 30, 2008
  5. Scott

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    Scott,

    Visibility between computers running Windows 9x (95, 98, ME) and Windows NT (NT,
    2000, XP , Vista) is always going to be sporadic.
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/windows-9x-9598me-and-browser.html

    You'll need to decide which computers will be online whenever any other computer
    is online and needing to access other computers. You need to pick 2 to 3
    computers to act as browsers for the network, and disable the browser (here I am
    NOT talking about Internet Explorer!) on all other computers.
    <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html

    Chuck [MVP], May 1, 2008
  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Chuck,

    Thanks for the info! This information is new to me. To update, when I rebooted the
    Win XP computer, the two Win 9x computers could once again see each other and the XP
    machine...so I guess the Win XP computer is the dominant one.

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, May 1, 2008
  7. Scott

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    Rebooting in the right order, Scott, frequently resolves the symptom. If the
    problem comes back again, re read the articles, or post back here and we'll go
    over the solution.

    Chuck [MVP], May 1, 2008