Computers in a workgroup not showing up

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by edee em, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. edee em

    edee em Guest

    I have a wireless network set up as follows: 2 desktops (one downstairs and
    one upstairs) and a laptop running XP, mn700 base and mn710 usb adapter on
    the desktops and a wireless adapter that came with the laptop. I also use
    the broadband utility software that came with. I set everything up and the
    internet connection works on all machines. The wireless network shows up on
    all machines. The problem is when I try to connect to the other computers to
    read files. I am running a virus/spam/firewall application provided by my
    ISP (I believe it is F-secure).

    In the utility program I wait for the refreshing of network devices to
    refresh. I then get a message that "no devices were found on the network".
    When I first set things up, the basement computer showed up in the list.
    Now, nothing. I also viewed my network through my computer and looked into
    the "check computers in the workgroup" option and there are no computers
    listed except for the one I am on at the time.

    I would appreciate any advice that you may have. I have this sneaking
    suspicion that I might be better off disabling everything, removing whatever
    software there is and starting over. A second question I have, therefore, is
    how do i do that?

    Thanks

    edee em, Mar 12, 2007

  2. edee em

    Chris H Guest

    Sounds a bit like your anti virus software may be blocking (and hiding) the
    computers from each other. You might want to check the documentation with
    the program to make sure it is allowing LAN traffic among the computers.
    Beside that, check to make sure all the systems are part of the same
    Workgroup. If they aren't, they're not going to be able to talk with each
    other. Oh, and the obvious thing we sometimes forget, is to make sure
    you're actually sharing files and folders you want other computers to
    access. :cool:
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, Mar 12, 2007

  3. edee em

    edee em Guest

    I emailed support for my virus software and will wait for them to tell me
    it's not that. I did make sure I'm using the same workgroup name, so that's
    taken care of. The file sharing thing you mentioned: would that prevent the
    workgroup computers from showing up?

    Thanks

    edee em, Mar 12, 2007
  4. edee em

    Chris H Guest

    Chris H, Mar 13, 2007
  5. edee em

    edee em Guest

    Thanks for the info Chris. I think I want to uninstall/reinstall and reset
    things. What's the best way to do that? I know how to remove the software
    but what is the best way to detach the hardware and those connections made?

    Thanks

    edee em, Mar 13, 2007
  6. edee em

    Chris H Guest

    If you're talking about reinstalling the router's firmware, you probably are
    already running the final available software. Microsoft stopped producing
    the product a couple years ago and has not issued new firmware for probably
    two years. You can administer the router by going to a computer which is
    connected (wired) to it and using the 192.168.2.1 IP address of the router
    in your browser address line.

    If you want to reset the router back to factory specs, there is a small
    pinhole on the back side near the antenna. Insert the point of a ball point
    pen or unfolded paperclip in the hole and keep pressing it in until your get
    flashing orange lights. That normally takes about five seconds.

    As far as removing the connection on a computer, go into Network
    Connections, right-click the connection representing your Local Area
    Connection and select "Delete." Then exit and restart the computer, and go
    back into Network Connections and Create a new connection.

    Chris H, Mar 13, 2007
  7. edee em

    Scottesh Guest

    what antivirus software are you using?
    check to see if the firewall is not blocking the network access.
    I see this all the time with Symantec firewall. You have to tell the
    firewall to trust your IP subnet. E.G 192.168.1.x

    I do wireless installs all the time and encounter this.

    If you have a mix of XP Pro and XP Home make sure simple file sharing is
    enabled on the Pro machine. Make sure that the PC's are in the same
    workgroup, and the TCP/IP address settings are set to DHCP. and file and
    printer sharing is turned on and enabled in all firewall exceptions including
    Microsoft Firewall (Even if you dont use it).

    Scottesh, Mar 19, 2007