Computers Can Share Internet but cannot see each other

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have networked my computers one is a pc and the other a wireless laptop.
    Both running Win XP Home. They have no problem sharing the internet
    connection but cannot see each other. Neither can see any other computer. At
    one point they could see each other on the PC but when I clicked on the
    laptop I received the error "You may not have permission to use this network
    resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    access permissions.
    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
    I also cannot ping the laptop from the PC
    I am a newbie at this and have been reading knowledge base articles for days
    now and am no farther ahead. Would appreciate any help anyone has to offer.
    My frustration level is reaching its end.
    Thank You
    Barb

    thank you

    Barb

    Guest, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Since you've been "reading knowledge base articles for days", I won't
    give you links to any more. ;-) However, it would be useful for you to
    go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's troubleshooter here:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    This will take you through step-by-step and help you narrow down the
    issue. After you've gone through the troubleshooter, if you need more
    help then post back to this thread and tell us the results.

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Carey Holzman, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Carey & Malke...finally got everything working great. Turns out Norton
    Security running on the laptop was the culprit. One of the first things I
    tried ..didn't work until I uninstalled it altogether. Anybody having same
    problem I recommend uninstalling all firewalls before trying anything else.
    Cheers
    Barb

    Guest, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Carey Holzman, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Check Windows XP firewall

    Guest, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Good afternoon Barbara,
    I have exactly the same problem. Would you please tell me how to
    uninstalling the firewalls, step by step? Do I have to do this on both
    desktop and laptop?
    Thank you,
    Antoine

    Guest, Jan 11, 2005
  8. If you are running a third party firewall then goto control panel and choose
    add/remove programs and remove your firewall.

    If you are using sp2's firewall, goto control panel and choose windows
    firewall and turn it off.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 11, 2005