  1. Irby

    C J Campbell Guest

    Refusal to start the MOVE.

    C J Campbell, Mar 15, 2007

  2. It's totally irrelevant since basic command line should be learned by every
    Windows and *nix user.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Irby

    C J Campbell Guest

    And for maintenance like that, DOS may still be the best solution.
    However, DOS is a terrible interface for doing anything with a computer
    other than, um, tinkering isn't the word I was looking for, but close.

    Most people actually expect computers to produce something. Like
    documents or movies or balance sheets. Who'd a-thunk-it? For actually
    doing something useful -- the raison d'etre for computers and their
    support teams -- the GUI is king. Most people want a word processor
    somewhat more powerful than EDLIN. And they don't like having dangerous
    commands like RECOVER just hanging around the disk, waiting to bite
    them. They don't want to use DEBUG, couldn't care less about it.

    C J Campbell, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Irby

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    The basic command like in Windows lacks grep. Do you know what grep is?

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 15, 2007
  5. Irby

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Right, but out of the box Windows, has no grep feature at all. Unix has
    it built-in.

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 15, 2007
  6. We have a few programs that our field techs use (to download from our
    dataloggers on site visits) that are still DOS or Win 98 modes. When
    the vendor doesn't update their programs, we do what we gotta do...

    For some things, yes I do use a DOS command line. For others, I use the
    GUI, but I want a small, fast GUI. Not a bunch of eye-candy. Hell,
    most of the time I've got a half-dozen or more xterm windows open to our
    development system, writing my Fortran code using vi... :)

    Jim

    J. F. Cornwall, Mar 15, 2007
  7. Irby

    ASAAR Guest

    Thanks. I never saw that, but then I never attempted to move too
    many files at a time. Many hundreds, perhaps over 1,000. Whenever
    I've had to move tens of thousands of files I've been cautious,
    copying first and deleting after the dust settled. But on an older
    computer that was otherwise reliable for all operations, including
    copying, I had Win9x crash a small percentage of the time when using
    Windows Explorer to move hundreds of files at once. The usual
    result was either no damage or a couple of "moved" files were moved
    to parts unknown. But once, even though all of the "move"
    operations were on a different physical hard drive, the crash took
    out enough of the system files on the C: drive that most programs
    wouldn't run. Fortunately, my tape backup/restore software was one
    of the few programs still operable.

    ASAAR, Mar 16, 2007
  8. Irby

    ASAAR Guest

    Right out of the box Windows is missing significant apps that many
    or most users will soon add. But I see your point, and most will
    buy a Windows app., either by knowing what they need or by browsing
    in a computer store. If they don't know of grep it's not very
    likely that they'll find any stores carrying it, unless it comes in
    a penguin friendly box. :)

    ASAAR, Mar 16, 2007
  9. Irby

    l v Guest

    What is wrong with using the built in findstr dos command? While the
    syntax is not the same as grep, it certainly performs grep and egrep
    abilities.

    l v, Mar 16, 2007
  10. I just prefer to leave it at "I like using a command line app for some
    things, and I also like using GUI apps for some things, and the only
    system I consider acceptable is one where you can have access to both of
    them, as needed." And since Unix, Linux, OS/X, and Winders all provide
    that functionality, everything beyond that is personal preferences and
    whether or not the applications you wish to run have been ported to your
    preferred platform.
    Our database runs under Solaris. We have one graphical data editor
    program providing an X Motif GUI, everything else is character-based
    screen entry and display applications. Works just fine, we actually do
    real work on ths system. Again, there is room for more than just GUIs
    in the computing world.

    Jim

    Our data

    J. F. Cornwall, Mar 16, 2007
  11. Irby

    Ron Hunter Guest

    No, I am a typist. Those who insist on using command lines for
    everything are Luddites.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 16, 2007
  12. Irby

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have never run into a limit on MOVE operations, and I have moved
    thousands of files at a time. This is a common operation I have done
    many times over the years, and never run into a limit.
    So, what IS the limit?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 16, 2007
  13. Irby

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Why? Because YOU like to type complex, hardly mnemonic, strings of
    characters? Some aren't good typists, and others just don't want to
    have to type at all.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 16, 2007
  14. Irby

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Reminds me of the 'good old days' when I ran an IBM 370/55 running an
    emulator for 360/30 emulating a 1401. Darn thing STILL ran faster than
    the 1401!
    Doesn't mean converting the 1401 software wouldn't have been a better
    solution (which we eventually DID).

    Ron Hunter, Mar 16, 2007
  15. Irby

    ASAAR Guest

    Only our imaginations. :)

    (I originally wrote "Only your imagination" but imagined the
    possibility of it being read the wrong way. <g> )

    ASAAR, Mar 16, 2007

  16. We still program in binary. And we don't even get to use ones and
    zeros. We have to use capital "ohs" and lower case "ells".

    heh.

    Steve Cutchen, Mar 16, 2007
  17. Irby

    J. Clarke Guest

    Wanna have some fun try running that code on Hercules on a PC, if it
    will run on one of the available operating systems.

    J. Clarke, Mar 16, 2007
  18. PostScript was first used on Unix systems with TeX; the Mac was later.
    Laser printers were around before Macs existed. The first affordable
    laser printers were HP Laserjets (well they were cheaper than the Apple
    printers), and they worked with PCs and early word processors (like
    WordPerfect).

    Pat O'Connell, Mar 16, 2007
  19. Irby

    Cynicor Guest

    PowerShell, baybeeee. It's the wave of the future.

    Cynicor, Mar 16, 2007
  20. Microsoft didn't include grep in Windows because they figured I didn't need
    it and I could download it after the fact if I need it. Amazingly enough I
    can't remember how many times I need to use it in Linux, so Microsoft was
    right, I really didn't need it.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Mar 16, 2007