    a private vocational school, or at least has an opinion.

    Thanks!
    Matt

    Matt, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Matt

    Thom W. Guest

    Matt,

    IMHO, you are a victim of a bad economy. You already have
    a BS in CS so I would recommend you do self study. New
    Horizons will not cure a crappy job market.

    Best of Luck,

    Thom

    Thom W., Aug 27, 2004

  3. Hi Matt,

    In addition to what Thom said, many of those types of classes simply offer
    too much information in too little a time frame. I agree with him - you're
    better off buying several good books and working through them.

    To get some experience on your resume, try writing an app for a non-profit
    organization that you're interested in.

    Cindy Winegarden, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thanks Thom.

    I also forgot to mention, that they offer job placement
    services, typically with Volt.

    I just want to be able to try my hand at working in what i
    studied!

    Matt

    Matt, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Matt

    Thom W. Guest

    Matt,

    I am familar with Volt. I have done several Volt contracts
    over the years. It was nice pay ~$50/hr, BUT, Volt does not
    find you a job, companies contact Volt with their needs
    and I suspect they will want someone that can hit the
    ground running based on my experience. Also, a little
    gotcha, is that sometimes companies require Volt
    contractors to take 6 months off after 12 months of
    continuous service, another gotcha.

    My recommendation is to spend $100 and buy low-end version
    of
    Visual Studio.Net, sign up for web hosting at somewhere
    like www.myhosting.com for $10 a month and start writing
    your own Web Application in ASP.NET (on something that
    interests you) for the whole world to see. As you learn,
    add more stuff to your site. You can use this as
    experience on your resume.

    Who knows, maybe you will even end up starting your own e-
    business??? :)

    Once Again,

    Good Luck

    Thom

    Thom W., Aug 27, 2004
  6. Matt

    Eric Guest

    If it's your own money, then please don't spend this much! You can
    easily learn yourself with the Amit Kalani Training Guides.

    New Horizons is good, but they teach a lot in a short amount of time.
    If you don't know anything going into it, you're going to miss a lot of
    the things they try to teach you.

    If you insist on taking a class, it's best if you learn the basics
    before you take the class. You should be familiar witht he terminology
    and basic concepts. Otherwise, your mind will be a giant step behind
    whenever they mention a term you don't know.

    Eric

    Eric, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated. I
    believe that I will try the self study track and see
    where it gets me. thanks again.

    Matt

    Matt, Aug 30, 2004