    and I can read the data on the hard drive from there. Could the
    motherboard be toast? (Bad IDE controller? These are IDE disks.) The
    hard drive? What?

    mike3, Mar 8, 2010

  2. mike3

    pimpom Guest

    If you can read from the hard disk after booting with a CD, the
    hardware is probably OK. The OS installation or the partition may
    be corrupted. You may have knocked a connector loose while
    replacing the graphics card.

    While the computer is completely turned off, push the RAMs and
    the IDE cable in firmly. Also check the 4-pin Molex power
    connector to the hard disk. Push and pull each of the four wires
    _individually_ and see if any of them feels loose.

    pimpom, Mar 8, 2010

  3. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    I just took out the IDE hard drive and now it doesn't have any
    problem. Might've
    just been a dying HDD...

    mike3, Mar 8, 2010
  4. mike3

    pimpom Guest

    Certainly a possibility. But I suggest you check the connectors.
    I've come across many cases where symptoms like the ones you
    described were caused by improper contacts at the connectors.

    pimpom, Mar 8, 2010
  5. What OS are you trying to boot that fails?

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 8, 2010
  6. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    Yeah, I replaced the connecting cable with another one, and it didn't
    fix the problem.

    mike3, Mar 8, 2010
  7. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    It's a Linux system.

    mike3, Mar 8, 2010
  8. mike3

    chuckcar Guest

    Doesn't matter in the slightest. This problem doesn't go beyond the
    BIOS, the motherboard, drive controllers cables and drives.

    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2010