Computer Toasted again???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mike3, Nov 24, 2008.

  1. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    Hi.

    I have this computer that seems to have been toasted. It first shut
    down and never started up again. I presumed the PSU was bad. Got out 3
    digit multimeter, checked PSU. No voltage on ANYTHING, plugged in or
    not. Even when in the computer. *Zero* all over (e.g. grey wire didn't
    have ANY voltage on it, purple wire didn't have ANY voltage on it,
    etc. when plugged into the system.). Then I removed the unit and I
    couldn't even get it to start up by jumpering the green wire, and I
    noticed that a bit of the connector plastic was burnt, so I believe
    all that confirmed it to have failed. So I got a new PSU and put it
    in. Computer starts, runs for a bit (gets the OS booted), then "shuts
    down" (screen goes blank, hard drive light becomes steady on, but
    doesn't actually power off.). Sometimes it beeps before this happens,
    once. I also notice I cannot get to BIOS setup (it says "entering
    SETUP" but then proceeds to the boot loader for the OS like it didn't
    even notice).

    I'm wondering if the death of the old PSU damaged something in the
    computer. What could have been damaged and how could one find out? Is
    it the M/B? The CPU chip? Something else? All of the above? I'm
    guessing M/B but I'm not sure.

    The old PSU was an "@-power" 430 watt unit, by the way.

    mike3, Nov 24, 2008

  2. mike3

    chuckcar Guest

    Disconnect the harddrives and cdroms until you can make sure the BIOS and
    everything else is set/working fine. There doesn't *seem* to be anything
    wrong. If it boots, the MB is good. If the CPU was dead, it wouldn't even
    POST.

    What *exactly* was the "beep"? i.e. how many long/short. There should be
    the name of the company that made the BIOS on the very top of the screen
    as soon as it comes on. That matters too. There *is* a single short beep
    you get on a normal boot. Always. It's not an error, it's a speaker test.

    chuckcar, Nov 25, 2008

  3. mike3

    mike3 Guest

    <snip>

    I think I've discovered the problem. It appears the ATX connector
    was too loose. I pushed it in until it seated and now it _seems_ to
    be stable.

    mike3, Nov 25, 2008
  4. mike3

    Tony Guest

    Look in the device manager for yellow checkmarks if you can get into there
    before it shuts down.
    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 25, 2008
  5. mike3

    Tony Guest

    Those bios beeps can be a little tricky if you've ate beans for lunch and
    then fart while the computer is booting. Those machine gun farts are the
    trickiest to figure out.
    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 25, 2008
  6. You might give a look inside Device Manager to see if anything took a hit.

    Good luck.

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 25, 2008