    everything else.

    Yet the icons on the desktop, many of which are also programs simply
    will not start.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 23, 2007

  2. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    ONE MESSAGE AT A TIME Rock !!!

    Restart the machine, and tell me exactly what happens
    from then.
    Does it boot into windows OK ?.
    Or do you get messages on the way in ?.
    If you do try to write them down.

    meerkat, Mar 23, 2007

  3. Rock Gibbons

    Maximum Dog9 Guest

    Look kid, you have whined for how many days now and spilled your guts
    out here about this? Format/flatten the HD, re-install the O/S and
    applications again and move on. You jacked the O/S and applications are
    not working properly or will not start, because of what you did initially.

    You messed-up and you have to pay for your lessons in life.

    Didn't you mama tell you that when she told you that you were stupid?

    Maximum Dog9, Mar 23, 2007
  4. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    I'm reinstalling Windows to a totally different folder now MeerKat.

    It has 32 minutes to go to finish.

    So far it has loaded everything except one file. "Mrt.exe"

    Perhaps I can copy it from the original windows directory into the new
    directory. The file has something to do with handling spyware
    programs.

    Now it is down to 31 minutes.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 23, 2007
  5. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    Yes that`s Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
    Tool.

    meerkat, Mar 23, 2007
  6. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    This thing has gone back to not wanting to load files.
    Now it doesn't want to load Msncli.ex_

    I just came back from the computer store. I found a Scotch cleaning
    suite for $4.50 that normally sells for $25.00

    I cleaned the CDROM but it still won't go past that file. If I clean
    the drive itself, I will have to terminate the installation of XP into
    a different directory and start over.
    Maybe I should try my DVD CDROM the next try. It isn't hooked up now,
    but since the computer is just reading information and not trying to
    write anything it may work better.

    So let's table things for today and let me putter around with this
    mess. If cleaning the CDROM drives and the install cdrom don't help. I
    guess I will be back tomorrow morning seeking more help. :)

    Spater

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 23, 2007
  7. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well now,

    I am up and running just fine on a new installation of XP. The other
    one is still available if I want it. I haven't decided whether I want
    to keep it or not.

    This new installation is totally clean. None of my previous programs
    are on the desktop.

    So I am going to have to do a lot of reinstalling apparently.

    I'll play with it for a few hours and then I will boot back up on the
    old system and work with it some more.

    I've been up on the new installation over an hour now. I've installed
    a firewall and Eudora. Some of the applications work fine on this new
    installation.

    However, my contact manager Act 8.0 refuses to start. So I will have

    to tweak it until it works.

    It is really smooth though. I may delete the other installation in a
    few days. :)

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 24, 2007
  8. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well,

    I had two different XP lines to click when I boot up now. I had been
    clicking the first one, the top one, as I figured it must be the new
    installation.

    This time when I rebooted I clicked the bottom one. Guess what? It
    came up the exact same way.

    Sooooooooooooooo. It looks like I have inadvertently put a new copy on
    my computer an even though it didn't do a format, the old troublesome
    one is gone!

    So I will have to reinstall many of the programs again. some of the
    lightweight application work just fine.

    The only thing I don't have that I may have to reinstall is my contact
    manager.

    If I can't tweak it tonight, I will reinstall it tomorrow and hopefull
    not lose all of my information.

    So I guess it is time to thank MeerKat for his excellent, patient
    help, and the same to all the others who contributed thoughtful,
    friendly help with this issues that exists no more.

    I still wish I could have found out what was causing it.

    C'est la vie mon ami.

    Ciao

    all of my stuff one at a time now.On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:49:07 GMT,

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 24, 2007
  9. Rock Gibbons

    Maximum Dog9 Guest

    You go to the Boot.ini file, edit the text file and get rid of the first
    line, stupid.
    All you did was an upgrade/reinstall over the top of the existing O/S,
    which repaired it, stupid.
    You deserve to, stupid.
    No one is here to hold your hand, change your pamper and give you your
    bottle, although you whined for all of it, stupid.
    It was a PEBKAC problem. That's pronounced PEB-KAC (problem exist
    between keyboard and chair), stupid.

    Maximum Dog9, Mar 24, 2007
  10. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    OOoo. you a ruthless %> ).

    meerkat, Mar 24, 2007
  11. Rock Gibbons

    Maximum Dog9 Guest

    The next time, he can call or post to his mama. She'll help the poor
    thing like she always does. He already said that his mama calls him
    stupid. I don't doubt it.

    The boy went to Hell and back only to basically re-install the O/S,
    which he should have done off the top of the bat, instead of the *As his
    World Turns* soap opera, blow by blow.

    Maximum Dog9, Mar 24, 2007
  12. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Tell me maximum Dog,

    Is this one of the Ten Commandments?

    "Do unto others as you wish to be done by?"

    Answer right away. Don't be a cheating turdface and look it up. :)

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 24, 2007
  13. Rock Gibbons

    Maximum Dog9 Guest

    You had better ask your mama. She can pat you on your head, your Pamper
    and give you your allowance for the week, after she answers your
    question. That way, you can run down to Toys R'Us and get the GI Joe
    with Kung Fu grip.

    GI Joe with Kung Fu grip is more your speed and is what you should be
    playing with and not a computer, because apparently, you're a menace to
    yourself when it comes to computers.

    Maximum Dog9, Mar 25, 2007
  14. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest