Computer struggling, won't run programs DWWIN.EXE-Application error Porco cane!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    I got the idea to go into my C:\documents and settings\
    folder and clean it up.

    I deleted a couple dozen folders of stuff from back in 2003 to 2001. I
    didn't think it was needed anymore.

    I deleted many folders of programs that I had removed.

    I rem deleting "Copernic" and that took about five minutes. Then I
    deleted some other stuff that looked innocent.

    Well, when I rebooted everything seemed fine until I reached the
    desktop and then all Himmel broke loose.

    I started to get a bunch of dings everytime programs tried to load.

    The error message was "DWWIN.EXE- Application Error" then unable to
    write

    The icons loaded, but when I clicked on them all I got was the above
    error message.

    So I booted into "safe" mode and began to try and effect a repair. The
    "DWWIN,EXE" file is on the computer. I did a "find" and it is in the
    "prefetch" directory as well as several other places
    I also ran registry mechanic and restored the registry back to March
    11, 2007. Nothing changed when I rebooted

    I tried to do a Windows restore twice, but that didn't work either.

    I started up Acronis True Image 10 Home, but I couldn't figure out
    what to do with it.

    So today has been a total waste, and I suspect tomorrow will be also.

    All this took place because I was trying to figure out why my computer
    was booting up and then dying after about fifteen minutes. That was
    driving me down the wall,

    Anyone ever encounter this before and successfully correct it?

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Rock Gibbons

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/dwwin/

    The program is running. "Application Error" is telling you that the
    program/application is running and it has encountered an error. It's
    unable to write to something a file most likely, and you have deleted
    it, because you didn't know what you were doing.

    You should check the Application eventlog on XP and see if more error
    messages for DWWIN.EXE are being logged there, which might tell you
    exactly what is wrong.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Come onnnnnnnn! You just told the whole world that I was tupid! What a
    mean thing...a real mean thing...that was a mean thing to do. You
    could have at least let me know in private. Now over 6,000,000,000
    know. My secret is out. My mom said as long as I kept my mouth shut no
    one would find out I was tupid. It worked for a long time until
    yesterday when I asked a question. Now I'm going to have to move far
    away where no one can find me and find me out.
    You're a mean person Sargeant.! :-(

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  4. Rock Gibbons

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Don't kill the messenger.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 21, 2007
  5. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    IF you`ve got a full XP CD....
    Start\Run type in..cmd.
    In the command window that appears, type SFC /scannow.
    Feed it the XP Cd when asked.
    Let it do its job, then restart the machine.

    meerkat, Mar 21, 2007
  6. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    do its job, then restart the machine.Wow! It's people like you who make this forum so GREAT!

    My next question in a few minutes was going to be "Is there anyway I
    can use my XP Cd to have it replace whatever is missing" I knew there
    was a certain command that could be typed in, but I couldn't remember
    it.

    This time I'm going to type your response into my contact manager
    under "Computer problems and resolutions"

    When I booted up in safe mode an hour ago I discovered that my recycle
    bin had 11,930 files in it. All of the 963mb of TMP files and other
    stuff that I deleted yesterday evening. I did see one names
    "startup manager" it asked me if I wanted to load it over the one that
    I installed last night from registry mechanic. The oldest was was from
    the 18th when things were better. So I gave it and everything else a
    yes.

    If this doesn't fix it, then it will be time to resort to having XP
    scan for errors and hopefully repair them.

    Much obliged hombre!

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  7. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    Glad to help.

    meerkat, Mar 21, 2007
  8. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well restoring nearly 12,000 files didn't work. I
    m still getting those same messages when I booted up. The first
    message I saw was "schedul2.exe" I don't know what that is either, but
    then it was followed by over a dozen of those DWWIN.exe app failed to
    initialize messages. :-((

    So Meerat, I'm going to try your idea if I can get the start run
    feature to work. It didn't work the last time I tried it yesterday. I
    got an error message on it as well.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  9. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    If you really get stuck, you can always try an XP repair,
    by booting up with the XP CD.
    It will completely repair the OS without losing your
    files, settings etc.
    You must of course have a full XP CD, because OEM
    versions will wipe the system back to factory specs.

    meerkat, Mar 21, 2007
  10. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    "I'm booting up into Safe mode with command prompt" now. Hopefully it
    will allow me to enter the "CMD" command and the instructions you gave
    me. After about fifteen minutes of searching I did locate my XP CD. It
    was lying naked in my top drawer so I hope it isn't scratched up. I
    cleaned it good, and inserted it in the cd-rom compartment. I'm still
    waiting to get into safe mode. It has been going about fifteen minutes
    now. If that doesn't work, I will boot into safe mode without command
    prompt and see if it works from there. I'm not sure if the CDROM will
    work in safe mode, or not, but it certainly should.

    Spater.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  11. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Before when I tried to repair things by booting up with the CD, it
    would run for a while then dump me into the DOS prompt.
    The only thing I knew to do at that point was run "chkdsk" with some
    special parameters.

    I believe what you suggested is different and should be more
    effective. I'm still waiting for the computer to enter Safe mode. It
    has been 20 minutes now and all I have is a screen full of ".sys"
    files. At the beginning each line says "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)
    partition (1).

    OK now it is on the blue screen and entering safe mode. I'll speak at
    you in about ten minutes one way ,or the tuhther!

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  12. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Well,

    That didn't work either MeerKat,

    When I type in the SFC/scannow and sfc /scannow

    I got a message saying "Windows file protection could not initiate a
    scan of protected system files. The specific error code is
    -0x000006ba- [The RPC server is unavailable."

    So now I will try and boot up with the XP CD and do something with it.
    :-(( If I had only used Acronis 10 Home and backed up the directory
    first, this would never have happened. Dio cane! Ma cazzo vuole da me?

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  13. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    OK I changed the settings in the setup so it would boot from the
    cdrom. It grabbed it and now it is loading a bunch of drivers.

    Now I'm at a blue screen that says:

    to set up XP now press ENTER

    to repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

    to quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    Which option is the right one? There are only two choices. :)-(

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  14. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    To set up XP now press ENTER.

    And move on to the next screen.
    You Don`t want the RC.

    meerkat, Mar 21, 2007
  15. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    OK, I had a 50/50 chance of being right. I picked the "Recovery
    console" and now I'm lost.

    So I will reboot back to the CD again. Porco mazelia!

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  16. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    It's 35% into examining my "C" drive. Maybe we have hit on something
    good finally.

    I won't count my hatches before they chicken though.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  17. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    Hurry up, I`m 75, and running put of time <G>.
    looks good so far tho`.
    While we`re waiting, whereabouts in the world are you ?.
    Nothing too specific

    meerkat, Mar 21, 2007
  18. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    It finished examining the files, then deleted a bunch of files. Now it
    is 13% through "Setup is copying files"

    I don't want to be to optmistic though. Like that guy who jumped off
    the Empire State Building, and when he passed the 60th floor on the
    way down, he said to himself "So far so good!"

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  19. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    75% through copying now.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007
  20. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    It now has been saying "please wait while setup nitializes your
    Windows XP conflagration.
    Hopefully, we are close to a victory!

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 21, 2007