computer shuts down sometimes on start-up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tony Tee, Oct 4, 2007.

  1. Tony Tee

    Tony Tee Guest

    Hi,

    Is this the right place to ask some advice on why my pc is shutting down
    when i boot it up?

    Would also be nice if you could just recommend a good newsgroup to ask in,
    if this one isn't appropriate.

    Basically, when I switch it on, if I don't hold my finger on the on button
    (for a second or two), it will start to boot for 1 second then switch
    straight back off again.

    It won't start when I re-press the on button to get it on again unless I
    knock off the power at the mains for 5 seconds, and try again.

    Sometimes, even when I have kept my finger on the on button, it hangs as its
    booting, or even switches off on its own, about 2 minutes later after
    seemingly starting up fine.

    Usually though, when it works, it works, and won't switch off and I can
    leave it on for hours on end with no probs, its just the starting the pc up
    I am starting to get probs now.

    XP pro operating system, medium spec PC about 3 years old, well maintained
    with re: software and anti-virus/spyare etc

    Cheers for any insight on this matter.

    Tony

    Tony Tee, Oct 4, 2007

  2. Tony Tee

    Tony Guest

    Sounds like "FROGwittery" to me. I'd give the power supply a punch in the beak
    and see what happens.

    Tony, Oct 4, 2007