Computer Restart, No Error Message, No Error/Warning in Event Viewer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jsncrlo, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. jsncrlo

    jsncrlo Guest

    After returning from vacation my PC would occasionally reboot with no
    error message, and after a restart and examination of the Event
    Viewer, I would find a paging error. The crashes would usually happen
    during heavier use such as video games.

    After some research, I found that it may be a problem with the hard
    drive, or the SATA cable or port. I tried a new cable and port to no
    avail. I went and bought another hard drive and installed it. (I
    have had issues with the previous hard drive before, so the errors/
    issues regarding the drive were not a surprise). I ran the
    MaxtorBlast software to transfer the OS to the new drive.

    I tried to use the computer and it continued to crash. Checking the
    event viewer, I found no error or warning messages, only an
    information message with an ID of 6005 and 6009 at the exact same time
    as the crashes occured. Eventually the crashes became so frequent
    that I had to go into safe mode in order to view the Event Viewer in
    vane hope it would show a new error message and give a clue to the
    issue, because the system was crashing too quickly for me to view it
    in standard mode. In safe mode, the same IDs were present at the
    time of the restarts.

    I am curious as to what my next step should be in the troubleshooting
    process.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    jsncrlo, Jun 10, 2007

  2. jsncrlo

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jun 10, 2007

  3. jsncrlo

    JCarrillo Guest

    Alrighty, I ran Memtest86+, and got about 37% through the first pass,
    and my machine shut down. Tried to restart, nothing. Flipped power
    switch, got the machine to power back up,but only for about 5
    seconds. A third attempt, and it stayed on a little bit longer, but
    as I tried to run memtest86+ again, the machine crashed.

    Done for the evening, and the outlook for my computer does indeed look
    bleak...

    JCarrillo, Jun 10, 2007
  4. Memory isn't that expensive.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 10, 2007
  5. jsncrlo

    JCarrillo Guest

    Right on, I understand that. But the fact that RAM is inexpensive
    doesn't magically fix my problem. I have an extra stick of 256mb
    RAM, trying it in each of the slots. First try it crashed as usual,
    no blue screen, no error, nothing, just blank and restart. Second
    slot, and the same thing again. Still crashing during memtest86, but
    did manage to complete one whole pass with the original stick of
    512MB, no errors. I have also tried the 512MB stick in each of the
    two RAM slots.

    I have gone from paging errors that caused crashes. which prompted me
    to replace my Hard Drive. With the new hard drive I am getting even
    more frequent crashes, and no errors or warnings in the event viewer.
    Memtest yeild nothing, but that could be because the machine shuts
    down during the test. Tried an alternate stick of RAM, results are
    the same, frequent crashes in Windows and shut downs during Memtest86.

    Any more suggestions? Am I looking at a possible motherboard issue?

    JCarrillo, Jun 10, 2007
  6. jsncrlo

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jun 10, 2007
  7. Most of the time when I see a computer restarting without warning, it's
    a heat related issue. Do you know the temp of your processor?

    Other than overheating and memory, video card problems are the next
    things to check for. Possibly update or revert back drivers, or try a
    different card.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 10, 2007
  8. jsncrlo

    Plato Guest

    Is your surge protector still working. ie if it had a surge it may be
    pharked as that's the point if you had a surge protector. If you did
    not have a surge protector, then you learned a valuable lesson.

    Plato, Jun 14, 2007