    Any other possible diagnoses in response to the symptom described (which is
    all that the user told me) would be much appreciated.

    Thanks!

    t.rex, May 6, 2004

  2. I would also download the fix tool for blaster, because blaster worm does
    the same thing.

    Andrew Halpern, May 6, 2004

  3. t.rex

    Trev Guest

    If the problem persists (as it did in the case of a friend of mine) you
    can use a tool such as knoppix to retrieve the files, and rebuild.

    Trev, May 6, 2004
  4. t.rex

    Dan Shea Guest

    That's a good start. You might want to consider taking along other
    antivirus artillery. Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/) is
    exceptional and small enough to fit on a floppy. If space is not an
    issue, bring along your AV program install CD and a copy of the most
    recent virus definitions.

    If it turns up clean on the virus scan, start looking for hardware
    causes. Faulty/improperly connected power supply, overheating, ...
    Could be one of any number of things.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 6, 2004
  5. t.rex

    Sultan Guest

    t.rex wrote in
    You may want to download the PQRemove tool for the Sasser worm from
    http://www.pandasoftware.com to have with you as well. Just hope that it
    is Sasser and not some other virus that disables the Anti-virus and
    firewall software- I fixed one a couple of weeks ago that was that way
    and try as I might could not get any other Anti-virus to load. The darn
    thing was sending out one virus infected e-mail after another. The user
    had bought Norton but then never thought of renewing thus the definitions
    were sorely out of date. But I digress...

    Sultan

    Sultan, May 6, 2004
  6. t.rex

    treehugger Guest

    I suggest you read this page http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp and download the detection tool. I would use all microsoft's recommendations to insure it's removed and then *also* patched. Don't forget to stop her PC shutting down in Start>Run by typing: shutdown -a

    treehugger, May 6, 2004
  7. t.rex

    10_4 Guest

    The first thing I would do would be go into the BIOS Setup and set them back
    to default. Sounds like someone has been tweaking the BIOS and did
    something wrong.

    10_4, May 10, 2004