Computer reboots periodically for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bearclaw1939, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. Bearclaw1939

    Bearclaw1939 Guest

    I upgraded to Norton systemworks about a month ago and since then my
    computer periodically reboots for no apparent reason.

    I called Symantec Tech support. I had a VERY HARD time understanding the
    person on the other end of the wire. I think he was in India. He had me go
    into msconfig and uncheck "CCapp" in the Startup tab. That didn't work.

    I have Starband satellite internet so I call their Tech Support. This
    Support person said she suspected norton systemworks was treating some of
    the files associated with starband as worms because they go out to the
    server periodically and check for updates. She had me change some settings
    in my Zone Alarm firewall.

    That did not work so I Uninstalled Norton Systemworks and went out and
    bought Norton Antivirus by itself because Starband support said that would
    work.

    That didn't work. I still have Norton Antivirus installed and would like
    some help.

    Error Codes I get are:

    Error signature
    BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : BAD0B148 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 :
    8056E77B
    BCP4 : 00000002 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

    The following files will be included in this error report:
    C:\DOCUME~1\JIMFIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4ee5.dir00\Mini022205-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\JIMFIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4ee5.dir00\sysdata.xml

    My system:

    Windows XP Home with SP 2

    Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard
    1 gig memory
    100 Gig hard drive on IDE channel 1
    200 Gig SATA hard drive
    400 Gig SATA hard drive
    Plextor CD/RW drive
    Plextor DVD/RW drive

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can trash Norton Antivirus If I
    have to and go with another antivirus.

    TIA

    Jim

    Bearclaw1939, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Bearclaw1939

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Jim',

    There is a post with a similar problem to yours in
    microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion at 18.19 24.2.05 under 'Please
    Help' and the suggested answer involves the bios.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Bearclaw1939

    Jerry G. Guest

    I would suggest that at this point, you should run a memory testing software
    through a number of cycles, to see if there are any failed RAM's. I've had
    something similar to what you have with a few clients, and it turned out to
    be failed memory.

    If you are using a router or modem that has a firewall, there is no need to
    add a software one. The software ones just add more load to the computer's
    resources.

    You should only be running a good quality up to date virus scanner, and a
    hardware firewall with your system. It is also a very good thing to use an
    adware and spyware checker every day or two to check the system.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Feb 24, 2005
  4. Bearclaw1939

    °Mike° Guest

    I'd say that's a very good reason up there (1).

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2005