    What is it? What might it be? I've done the usual maintenance stuff.

    Thx,
    D.

    David, Jun 24, 2004

  2. David

    °Mike° Guest

  3. David

    Me Guest

    Sounds like a video card or memory might be going bad on you. If it
    was mine, I'd try reinstalling the video driver first, then start
    swapping parts.

    Me, Jun 24, 2004
  4. David

    TechNews Guest

    Without knowing the details of your system, is very hard to come up with a
    reasonable diagnosis. There are several variables that come into play: How
    old is the computer? How much memory does it have? What programs are
    running? Etc. Etc. Etc.

    If it's a win98 box, try this: Start -> Run -> msconfig (enter)(ok)
    Click on the start up tab and clear all of the boxes; press (ok) and reboot.
    If you see a difference, then a program running in memory was causing the
    problem.

    TechNews, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Here are the resolutions to the issues exactly as you presented them:
    -Put a blanket over the computer.
    -Tie up the mouse (so it can't run away - aka disappear) and give it a
    blanket.
    -The BSOD is pretty standard on Windows - no fix.
    -To increase access speed, wind the rubberbands tighter and feed the
    hamsters.
    -The halo around the monitor is a good thing. For all its problems the
    machine is obviously blessed.

    Now, if you want real answers, learn how to form coherent sentences,
    describe the issue(s) in detail, and include vital information such as
    OS, hardware specs, error messages, etc.

    Doc S.

    Dr. Strangelove, Jun 25, 2004
  6. David

    David Guest

    This is a little more coherent, or more info anyway. Any ideas anyone?

    It's Windows 98se on a box built by a local computer service store. It
    has been a great computer for a while now. 733 Intel PIII, 32 k
    primary memory cache, 256 k secondary memory cache. Board: First
    International Computer, Inc. FA11 PCB 1.x, bus clock 133 MHz, Bios
    award software international inc 6.00 PG 07/04/2000. 128 MB RAM, 9.98
    gigs usable hdd capacity, 7.49 gigs free hdd space, Generic IDE hard
    disk drive No SMART Driver. NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro,
    Relisys 786 monitor 15.2 vis, s/n, C891180674, August 1999. VIA Tech
    3038 PCI to USB Universal Host controller, Kingston EtheRx KNE20 Plug
    and PLay ISA Adapter, Benq S2W 5300U scanner, and I think the mouse is
    an intellipoint laser mouse, comes with mouse software.

    Need any other info, let me know. Thoughts, ideas?

    David, Jun 25, 2004
  7. You're not a good judge of coherent or more info, are you?

    David, the employee in charge of filling up cracks, Jun 25, 2004
  8. If I really want to help, I need to yank stuff out of you, don't I?
    Well, I'm not going to do that because I do this shit for a living and
    my time is worth considerably more than the 0 $$$$ I get out of this.

    What I know now is that you have what appears to be decent hardware with
    an unstable OS that is indeed notorious for the BSOD (ok, not as bad as
    95 or straight 98, but bad nonetheless). I also know some flakey
    symptoms that occur from your first post. Last, but not least, you have
    not looked at any of the links provided by Mike that will give you some
    excellent ideas of what people really need from you to help.

    So feel free to post again with some useful items that will help us help
    you - and yes, you did post some good info - it's just not as complete
    as it needs to be. You'd best take a look at those links referenced by
    Mike to get the idea.

    Later,
    Doc S.

    Dr. Strangelove, Jun 26, 2004