computer problems, any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kathryn, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Kathryn

    Kathryn Guest

    I'm at my wits end with this. Ive rebooted 7 times in the past 2 and a half
    hours and Im getting quite depressed

    These problems are a bit ongoing, I thought I had it sorted but they seem to
    be back with avengence

    I get a complete freeze .(i.e. no mouse, no keyboard, everything stops on
    the computer) and I have to reboot

    the other day the cd rom spontaneously opened and I couldnt get it to close
    until I
    shut the computer down and pushed it back in, I then rebooted an hour later
    and it finished closing - I have two and it was the rewriter that popped
    open the wee multi read button kept flickering away.

    The working light will go on and not go off again by this I mean I have a
    green 'on' light
    and a red 'working' light, Im sure there's a proper name for it, but when
    its booting the computer or opening a programme it flickers rather than
    stays solidly on which is what happening now, sometimes I can work on for
    alittle bit with it on even if things seem to stall but it usually happens
    right when the computer freezes. If I immediately reboot the working light
    stays solidly on. the only way to get rid of it to completely switch off the
    computer for a couple of minutes.

    The sound on some games has vanished a couple of times (I mean I can hear
    cd's and computer noises but if I play a game nothing) some told me a driver
    to try installing which I did, and then had to reinstall it a couple of
    weeks later.

    Ive tried defragging, repairing, reinsalling windows, virus scanning but the
    problem keeps coming back.

    If its any help I do have 2 drives. The c drive is about 4 years old and
    the d drive is nearly a year old (last year something fried and we got a new
    tower and um cpu I think) so the only thing that is really old is the C:
    drive (and the rewriter which is over 2 years old)

    As you can imagine its starting to get to me a bit and I dont know what the
    actual problem is! If anyone could give me any clue or suggestions I would
    be so unbelievably grateful

    Kathryn

    Kathryn, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Kathryn

    Miggsee Guest

    Um....... OS?

    Miggsee, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Kathryn

    philo Guest

    you should at least try a few utilites
    such as a RAM test

    temperature testing (especially the cpu) ...be sure all fans are working

    possibly a harddrive diagnostic

    when you re-did your machine...you would have been better off
    using the new drive as your main one

    additionally...what OS are you using

    some of the problems you have make me think you might
    be using windows98

    if so, you may want to consider moving to XP
    it;s more stable

    if you already are using XP then ???

    philo, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Kathryn

    Bob Regis Guest

    Do a maintenance scan using system mechanic, its free for 30 days use.
    It does all the basic stuff for you, such as registry cleaner, startup
    manager etc...

    www.iolo.com

    Bob.

    Bob Regis, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Kathryn

    Kathryn Guest

    Windows?

    Even tho I've reinstalled it?

    Kathryn

    Kathryn, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Kathryn

    Kathryn Guest

    Hello! Im not very computer literate :} how do i do the tests?

    i didnt repair it last time I got a computer repair person to do it and they
    put in the new drive at my request (I only have 8gb on the C drive which
    gets full pretty quickly).

    Im using 98 this is the first time with these particular problems tho. Some
    one has suggested a reformat?

    I don;t want to spend any money if I can avoid it (I dont have any basically
    to spend)

    Kathryn

    Kathryn, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Kathryn

    Kathryn Guest

    Thank you! will give it a go :)

    Kathryn, Nov 9, 2003
  8. Kathryn

    philo Guest

    well...
    if you format your drive and reinstall
    you will loose all your data etc so it would be better to fix your existing
    setup

    there are quite a few free utilites on www.bootdisk.com

    or at least the last time i checked..there were

    Mem test is a memory tester

    additionally, if the problems only occur after your machine has been running
    for
    a while...there is a chance that it is an overheating problem
    i don;t know if you feel comfortable haivng a look inside to at least
    make sure your fans are all working...especially the one on the cpu

    philo, Nov 9, 2003
  9. Kathryn

    Harrison Guest

    Hardware:
    1.Remove the side cover from the case and start the computer. Are all
    fans working? Is the case full of dust?

    2. Test the system RAM using the software available here.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    3. Check all cables and connectors. Make sure the RAM is firmly seated
    in the slots.

    Software:
    1.Try restoring the registry to a point prior to the date of the
    problems. Boot to a Win98 boot floppy.
    Type C: and hit Enter
    Type cd Windows and hit Enter (that's "cd" space "Windows")
    Type scanreg /restore and hit Enter (that's "scanreg" space
    "/restore")
    Choose a date prior to the onset of the problems, if possible.

    2. Check for Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans and Viruses.
    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Follow their suggestions for removal and do away with anything they
    find and suggest.

    If you do not have antivirus software, download AVG from
    http://www.grisoft.com/. Update it, and run a full scan.

    Last Resort:
    If all else fails, do a clean install of Windows 98, not a reinstall.

    Harrison, Nov 9, 2003
  10. Windows what?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 9, 2003