    laptop computer while there. Would it be best if I bought whatever is
    required here or wait until I get there?

    Anxiously awaiting my arrival...

    doctor1, Jul 8, 2003

  2. doctor1

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jul 8, 2003

  3. If you have the time, buy a US to NZ adapter in the US. The NZ power plug
    looks like a US plug with the prongs at a 45 degree angle. As the previous
    poster mentioned, you don't need a voltage adapter if the power supply
    handles the 110 to 250 range. The advantage of buying the adapter in the US
    is that the ones sold in NZ tend to be huge, and the ones in the US are
    tiny. If you are flying Air NZ you can buy one in the gift/book shop at LAX
    terminal two right near the Air NZ gates. They probably have them in the
    Bradley terminal as well (for QANTAS) but the shops near the gates are quite
    limited. The big stores are out in the main lobby which you can't get to
    after going through security. Fry's carries them as well for about a dollar
    each.

    Stuart Feigin, Jul 9, 2003
  4. doctor1

    doctor1 Guest

    I like to thank all of you responders for the speedy advice.
    My Toshiba ps specs will handle to 230v. Looks like all I need is an
    inexpensive adapter which I will purchase at LAX.

    Thanks all,

    doctor1

    doctor1, Jul 9, 2003
  5. doctor1

    Steve Guest

    doctor1 allegedly said:
    Most laptops have global power supplies.....and you just need to get a
    compatible power cord.....or use a plug adapter.

    My DELL Latitude has been everywhere (man) and the power brick handles
    anything.

    It should say right on your power brick what it can do.

    Mine says: "Input: 100v - 240v - 1.5A - 70W Cont."

    Japan is 100 volts...and no one uses weaker power than that as far as I
    know. The US is 110v. NZ is 220v.

    --
    Steve
    --
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war;
    neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
    nor for that matter in Germany.
    That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
    of the country who determine the policy and
    it is always a simple matter to drag the people
    along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
    dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
    dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
    always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
    they are being attacked and denounce the
    pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
    the country to danger. It works the same way
    in any country."
    - Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

    Steve, Jul 9, 2003
  6. doctor1

    Steve Guest

    doctor1 allegedly said:
    Or Dick Smith's here.

    You can usually use the powerpoints the cleaners plug into while in the
    airport. You may have to sit on the floor or in a corner.....

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 9, 2003
  7. doctor1

    nobody Guest

    LAX?
    Nothing is cheap at LAX - can you actually get the part there?

    Cath

    nobody, Jul 9, 2003
  8. doctor1

    Chris Mayhew Guest