computer periodically freezes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Gruntz, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Jeff Gruntz

    Jeff Gruntz Guest

    Greetings everyone. I hope someone on here might have an answer to this
    situation I'm experiencing as it is really beginning to bug me.

    I have a PIII 1 GHz system. The motherboard is an ASUS CUSL2-C board
    with 448MB of PC133 RAM, an Asus A9600GE video card with the proper
    drivers, a Soundblaster Live 5.1 PCI Soundcard with drivers from
    Creative, an SMC USB Network Adapter and the motherboard BIOS has been
    updated to 1009 (the most current version).

    I purchased a Seagate 80GB ATA Hard Drive for the system on September
    30, 2005. I installed Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and all the updates
    required. This is when I noticed a problem. My system would periodically
    freeze. It would only be for 5 to 10 seconds, but it would do it every
    couple of minutes, stop for an hour or two, start the periodic freezing
    again, and then stop for an extended period of time.

    I thought it was a bad install of Windows so I put Fedora Core 3 on the
    hard drive. Of note, before installing Windows, I did a format on the
    drive just to be safe. I also formatted the drive and installed Core 3.
    Fedora ran with no problems at all and the whole periodic freezing
    stopped. So, a bad install of Windows.

    I decided to remove Fedora and put Windows back on (I share my PC with
    my brother and he has no idea how to use LINUX and I figured that it
    would be much easier to go back to Windows). So, I reinstall Windows and
    the same thing happens.

    This time, I tried swapping out the RAM on the PC to see if it was
    faulty RAM causing the problem. Definitely not faulty RAM because the PC
    still did the same thing with the new RAM in it.

    I finally broke down and contacted Seagate's tech support where I was
    informed to ensure that the hard drive was in UDMA mode on the primary
    channel. I reverified that and the drive is UDMA mode. Obviously, I'm
    thinking it's a Microsuck problem as the system works fine running Linux.

    Any other suggestions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

    Jeff Gruntz, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Jeff Gruntz

    Unk Guest

    Do you have a NIC in the computer that you're not using?

    Slow boot time, or delays / Blackouts or Time-outs while waiting for webpages to load.
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe/windowspppoe.php#4
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm
    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/#LongHangs
    http://www.dslreports.com/

    Unk, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Jeff Gruntz

    John Holmes Guest

    Jeff Gruntz blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    I've seen this problem when (one of) the CD-drive(s) was getting worn
    out. Turning off autorun can solve the situation. If you have more then
    one CD-drive installed, disconnect them one at a time and run your PC for
    a few days with only one drive attached to determine which one is going
    b0nkers. Then replace the faulty drive.

    John Holmes, Oct 4, 2005