    happened to me before, even with much older computers.

    Could it be some kind of virus? I would assume that a virus could not
    interfere with a computer's ability to simply switch on... but who knows.

    niwa, Jan 7, 2007

  2. Sounds to me there's something wrong with either the cord or the three-prong
    connection in the back. I had this problem with my other set many times.

    No matter how sure you may think the cord's connected, it ain't. Scott

    Wereo_SUPREME, Jan 7, 2007

  3. niwa

    PeeCee Guest

    Niwa

    If the wall socket is OK, then test the power cord (substitute is the
    easiest).
    Power Supply's can lock up and can be cleared by removing the mains voltage
    from them for a few seconds (this will have happened if you swapped the
    power cord in the previous test)
    If power cord is OK and it still doesn't start open the case and check for
    5V on the purple wire coming from the power supply.
    If 5Volts present try power supply in another PC to see if it will start, if
    it does, check you PC's hardware for short's and or blown/dead components
    (motherboard, Ram, Modem, etc)
    If there is no 5V or it won't start in another PC substitute a known good
    power supply in your Desktop PC

    The type of 'sudden' power supply failure you describe is quite common these
    days, often caused by blown electrolytic capacitors.
    A virus would not stop the basic hardware starting up, ie the lights would
    come on, drives spin up, fans rotate etc.

    Best Luck
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 7, 2007
  4. niwa

    w_tom Guest

    No one can answer your question. Your replies will only be as good
    as numbers and other facts you provide. Another has noted an internal
    protection function that is reset if you remove and reconnect AC power
    cord. Other than that, no one can offer more useful information from
    what was provided. If you want to diagnosis a problem with power
    supply, with other parts of the power supply system, or other parts of
    the computer, then you will need a 3.5 digit multimeter and a screw
    driver. Otherwise you need a computer repair shop.

    w_tom, Jan 8, 2007
  5. niwa

    niwa Guest

    Of course I have tried unplugging and re-plugging the power cord.

    There are not many details I can provide... the computer simply does not
    turn on. NO lights, NO beeps, NO fans, NOTHING.

    Are you actually saying I could look inside and see something visually wrong
    with the components??

    Hardware failures are rarely macroscopic. For example, I have a broken
    graphics card here on my desk. It's not snapped in half, there aren't bits
    fallen off it... of course I can't visually see the problem.

    niwa, Jan 9, 2007
  6. niwa

    Daave Guest

    Since I've been following this thread from the beginning, I see that
    There's a good chance there will be some folks who didn't see his post
    (for whatever reason). In the future, it would be a good idea to include
    the pertinent text from the post you are replying to (plus, it's
    considered good Net etiquette).

    Wereo_SUPREME suggested you try *another* power cord. Unplugging and
    replugging a bad cord won't get you very far, you know! So try another
    cord.

    Paul suggested you open up the case and check to see if your mulimeter
    shows 5 volts coming from the purple wire. I refer you back to his post
    (just in case you missed it: ).

    Good luck.

    Daave, Jan 9, 2007
  7. niwa

    niwa Guest

    Wereo_SUPREME suggested you try *another* power cord. Unplugging and
    Already tried.
    I don't have a mulimeter... maybe I will just try putting in another power
    supply.

    niwa, Jan 9, 2007
  8. niwa

    w_tom Guest

    Nothing even implied a naked eye would accomplish anything useful.
    Eye requires tools to make it useful. " ... you will need a 3.5 digit
    multimeter and a screw driver." Both tools so ubiquitous as to be sold
    in Radio Shack, Lowes, Sears, Wal-mart, Home Depot, K-mart and numerous
    other retailers. A product currently onsale in Sears for $10. To
    find a failure in but a minute, a multimeter. Meter also has numerous
    other useful functions - just like a screw driver. Identify a
    suspect or confirm hardware integrity in but minutes. Even a new
    power supply cannot answer your question so accurately or as quickly.
    It is a power supply 'system'. The $60 PSU is only one component of
    that 'system'. Do you keep replacing parts (shotgunning) - or first
    discover what has failed?

    w_tom, Jan 10, 2007