    Jay Guest

    I am going to report you to Mainlander for having bogus conversations
    with your own alias.

    Jay, Oct 3, 2003

  2. asdf

    T-Boy Guest

    Though you have the intelligence of a plank of wood, it's nice
    to see you have a sense of humour.

    T-Boy, Oct 4, 2003

  3. asdf

    T-Boy Guest

    Go right ahead.

    You might like to note (not that you'd know how) that my posts
    *all* originate from one IP. *none* of Patrick's posts match
    that IP.

    T-Boy, Oct 4, 2003
  4. asdf

    Jay Guest

    Who is Patrick?

    Jay, Oct 4, 2003
  5. asdf

    pbs Guest

    1 Kilo is 1000, no one would argue about that. If I see a road sign that
    say "turning 1K" I know that in the context it is an abbreviation and it
    means in 1 kilometre which is 1000 metres.

    If I see something about computer disk or memory size stating 1K.
    then I take that to be an abbreviation for "kilobyte" not a "kilo of bytes".

    A kilobyte has a definition (in most dictionaries) of 1024 bytes or
    8192 bits. A "kilo byte" would be 1000 bytes or 8000 bits.

    It is similar to the idea that the word weekend does not mean the same
    thing as week end.

    pbs, Oct 5, 2003
  6. asdf

    Jay Guest

    And what do you think when your modem is rated at 56kbps?
    Or if your DSL is rated at 512kbps?

    Jay, Oct 5, 2003
  7. Between the computer and the modem, it's usually 8 data bits, 1 stop bit,
    no parity and one start bit - that's 10 bits.

    Occasionally it's 7 bits (ascii only) and the number of start bits or stop
    bits may be 2, or there may be a parity bit. There's your 7-12 (actually
    13) bits. (Start and stop bits owe their heritage to 45bps mechanical
    teleprinters, FWIW)

    Between the modems it's normally the same as the computer for a
    non-error-corrected link, hence why 2400bps is usually regarded as 240cps

    Switching on error correction, you drop to 8bits per byte between the
    modems (the modems go into synchronous handshaking modes), plus around 5%
    for overheads.

    Switching on data compression, assuming textfiles, the actual bits per
    byte transmitted on the line may drop lower than that - usual compression
    rates on text run at 3-4:1
    That's why.
    See above. It would seem you're the one with the strange noises in his
    head.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 5, 2003
  8. asdf

    pbs Guest

    Personally I have had nothing to do with modems professionally since
    they were still measured as baud as in 300 baud or 9600 baud. So kilo
    bits per second is not something I have had to think about.

    I could not get hold of the ISO standards on the net. But I did notice
    that most modem manufactures tend to print the whole number eg "56,000
    bit/s" in their specifications, but use "56Kb/s" in the adverts.

    As modems are to do with telecoms and as everyone knows that the
    telecoms around the world got the intellectual elite when they split
    from their parent postal services ;-) They probably have a more
    classical education than computer scientists and use Kilo Bits per
    second as units of 1000. However I could not find the word "kilobits" in
    a dictionary so it would seem reasonable that "kilo bits per second"
    should be 1000s of bits per second. This does not detract from the fact
    that "kilobyte" is a word defined in computer science and in standard
    dictionaries as 1024 bytes or 8192 bits.

    pbs, Oct 6, 2003
  9. asdf

    Jay Guest

    Sorry but the correct word for 1024 bytes if kibibyte.

    Your dictionaries are wrong. But it wouldn't be the first time in history
    that large numbers of people have gotten it wrong. The earth used to
    be flat once too.

    Jay, Oct 7, 2003
  10. asdf

    pbs Guest

    Sigh! Which is correct: "2 thousand" or "2 thousandS"?

    pbs, Oct 8, 2003
  11. asdf

    Jay Guest

    Neither.