    kB
    n : 1024 bytes of information [syn: kilobyte, Kilobyte, {k}, {K}, kB, Kb,
    KB]

    Brett Cooper, Sep 28, 2003

  2. asdf

    Brett Cooper Guest

    Ok, 'I think' you are right in it not being a number base label,
    but I am correct in that 4bits is called a nibble, well it's what I think,
    and I am 100% sure in that fact!

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Sep 28, 2003

  3. asdf

    Brett Cooper Guest

    I was trying to point out is, 1024(dec) is a whole number for computers,
    this is because computers work/count in binary, stuff is either on or off.
    The computer, when working on a 8 bit system, can express any number from
    0(dec) to $ffff(hex).

    But I seem to be talking to a wall thats thinks is red, when it's really
    every other colour but red as all the red light is reflected from if.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Sep 28, 2003
  4. asdf

    Brett Cooper Guest

    Yes and in those days a computer was someone who added up numbers, so we
    have to find a new name for our PC's. Oh you might have also noticed we are
    talking about 'computer bytes' and the number of bytes in 1kilobyte is
    1024. Sorry if it's confusing but that's the way it is.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Sep 28, 2003
  5. asdf

    Brett Cooper Guest

    No it;s not, u r mistaken..
    It's not rubbish and should be illegal, because when you turn the HD and
    goto use the space advertised, you will see 'the computer reports' the
    PHYSICAL size is different.

    Brett Cooper, Sep 28, 2003
  6. asdf

    Brett Cooper Guest

    Two out of three isn't band, you need to look a little harder into the
    computer science of bytes and kilobytes.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Sep 28, 2003
  7. KiB is a recent attempt to deal with the confusion introduced by murketers
    redefining standard computing terms to make things look sexier.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Remind me to strongly void any computer suppliers recommended by
    Mainlander and Jay.

    BTW: PLESE STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 28, 2003
  9. asdf

    Ben Perston Guest

    Some might suggest that the confusion arises from the initial misuse of
    kilo- etc!

    Ben Perston, Sep 28, 2003
  10. asdf

    Jerry Guest

    A ram chip will always be some power of 2. When you get to 1024 bits,
    bites, words or whatever you are accesing in a bit of ram it is
    referred to a kilo (bit, byte, word). This is bacause people found it
    easier to write 1k instead of 1024. When using kilo, meg or gig
    designations with RAM it is always rounding the number down. a
    kilobyte of ram is 1024 bytes exactly, or near 1000. A megabyte is
    exactly 1048576. A hard drive is not addressed by address lines, and
    so the actual amount of data that can be stored will likely not be an
    exact power of 2, where ram is always an exact power of 2. A 40
    gigabyte drive then, will have somewhere near 40,000,000,000 bytes of
    data. That is a decimal number, because most things that man uses are
    measured in decimal, due to the fact that man developed with 10
    digits. Compare 4 different brands of 40gb drive, and you will find
    they all have slightly different storage capacities. Compare
    different brands of RAM and a megabyte will always be EXACTLY 1048576.

    Whether measuring frequency, bytes, apples oranges or distance, a kilo
    is 1000, a meg is 1,000,000 and a gig is 1,000,000,000.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 28, 2003
  11. asdf

    Mainlander Guest

    Then the compyter manufacturers should be sued for quoting memory as so
    many megabytes when it is actually more!

    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  12. asdf

    Mainlander Guest

    Bulldust. One byte is one byte. Kilo is 1000.

    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  13. asdf

    Mainlander Guest

    So MS uses the corruption of metric standards, they should be sued for
    misquoting the free space!

    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  14. asdf

    Mainlander Guest

    Computer science, bulldust. One byte is one byte. 1000 bytes is 1
    kilobyte. The use of kilo to denote 1024 is a corruption that should not
    be tolerated.

    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  15. asdf

    Mainlander Guest

    Remind me that Alan Brown's anti spam operation had to shut down because
    they blacklisted Telecom's servers for no other reason than they despised
    Telecom.

    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  16. asdf

    Jerry Guest

    1024 is nearly a thousand, only recently did anyone really worryu
    about the extra 24. It is reasonable ro round off a memory size to
    express it in kilo or meg.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 28, 2003
  17. asdf

    Mainlander Guest

    1024 is one thing, once it is multiplied a few times the difference is
    substantial. 1 meg, actuall1 1048xxx.

    Mainlander, Sep 28, 2003
  18. asdf

    Jerry Guest

    it is still easier to say 1 meg than to say one million fourty eight
    thousand five hunderd seventy six, isn't it? and if 24 concerns you
    so much, why did you round off the 576 from the number you posted?

    When NZ went metric, they changed the road signs that said quarter
    mile to read 400 meters. Do you really bothered to move the signs
    2.336 meters? Are you going to sue the government for the extra
    distance you now have to travel?

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 28, 2003
  19. asdf

    Jay Guest

    Exactly.

    Jay, Sep 28, 2003
  20. asdf

    Jay Guest

    Absolutely correct.
    In networking a kilobyte is always 1000 bytes - *always*.

    Jay, Sep 28, 2003