    Gigabytes = 2³º Bytes

    To a computer 1024 is a nice round number, 1000 is not as easy a number to
    work with.

    MarkH, Sep 26, 2003

  2. asdf

    Steven H Guest

    personally i think the lawsuit should work it is False advertising

    they are advertising capacaty in binary notation:

    selling a 120 GB Hard Drive - thats Giga Byte (base 2 notation),
    not Giga (which denotes base 10 notation) not anything else.

    it is false advertising, and at least in NZ it is illegeal to do so -
    CGA, Item not fuffilling what it is intended to do - that is be a 120
    Giga Byte hard drive

    Steven H, Sep 26, 2003

  3. asdf

    Jay Guest

    That is exactly where you are wrong.
    1KB is 1024 bytes, 1kB is 1000 bytes, 1KiB is 1024 bytes.
    You have you binaries mixed up. 1024 is a decimal number!
    kilo = 1000
    Very simple.

    Jay, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Several of them already have. The whole marketing megabyte things is
    coming back to bite them now disk capacities are past 100Gb - it's not
    like the dfference is a couple of Mb anymore.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 26, 2003
  5. asdf

    Jay Guest

    And you are wrong too! Your "No" is quite inappropriate.
    There is nothing wrong with what I said.
    1024 *is* a decimal number and nothing else.
    Thanks for the lesson, teach. But I know what a number is.
    We are talking about hard disk sizes, so go and play teachers
    in some other thread.

    Jay, Sep 26, 2003
  6. asdf

    Jay Guest

    Totally wrong.
    It is still the same percentage. The difference is the same.
    Nothing is coming back to bite anyone anywhere for any reason whatsoever.

    Jay, Sep 26, 2003
  7. asdf

    MarkH Guest

    1024 is no more decimal than any other number! You are confusing a number
    with the way the number is being described, 1024 is only one of many names
    for that number.

    Do you really think that referring to a number in decimal notation really
    makes that number uniquely decimal? Having 1024(DEC) apples is no
    different from 2^10 apples or 400(HEX), my point being that they are the
    same number with only the notation being different.

    1024 is many things, not just decimal number. Another way of describing
    the number is 2 to the power of 10, this make it a good computer
    alternative to the number 1000 we use for the term kilo (also referred to
    as 10 to the power of 3).

    The original point is that in computer terms 1024 bytes is used for a
    kilobyte because 1024 is exactly 2^10, which makes it a good number for the
    purpose that it is used. For HDDs the manufacturers have chosen to use the
    decimal value of 1000 for Kilo because that gives a bigger number, despite
    it being well established that a kilobyte is 1024 bytes.

    MarkH, Sep 26, 2003
  8. asdf

    Brett Cooper Guest

    I didn't have my numbers mixed up.
    Get your head out of the sand and peek outside your square..

    Brett Cooper, Sep 27, 2003
  9. asdf

    Ben Perston Guest

    I understand that there is a series of prefixes coined for exactly this
    purpose... kibi-, mebi- etc. It's sorta stupid to use prefixes that
    previously had precise definitions to denote something similar but not the
    same.

    Ben Perston, Sep 27, 2003
  10. *SNIP*

    bzzzzzt, wrong answer. The only bases which could not have 1024 as a
    valid number are binary, ternary and base 4 (dunno the name for that
    system).
    Once again you're talking out your Aussie arse, and making an ass of
    yourself.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Sep 27, 2003
  11. asdf

    Jay Guest

    1024 is decimal.
    0x400 is hex.
    02000 is octal etc.

    So, yes, you are indeed wrong.
    1024 is a decimal number.
    You are all mixed up.
    1024 is a decimal number.

    Next thing you will be telling me that a mile is a kilometer!
    1024 is a decimal number. It is not a binary number, and it is not
    a hex number.
    I suppose you would want people to sue because their broadband
    is represented as 512kbps (512,000bps) when it should really be
    a bit more!

    Ridiculous.

    Jay, Sep 27, 2003
  12. asdf

    Jerry Guest

    special purpose storage devices can of course be serial, bcd or
    whatever they are designed to do. Standard memory chips, commonly
    known as RAM and addressed by a binary address, will always be
    something related to a power of 2. He isn't wrong, you are finding
    exceptions

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 27, 2003
  13. asdf

    Jerry Guest

    The manufacturers use decimal because it is the number of heads
    (decimal) times the number of tracks(decimal) times the number of
    bytes that can be written to a track (decimal). An HDD is addressed
    differently than RAM, and has always been measured in decimal

    Jerry

    Jerry, Sep 27, 2003
  14. asdf

    MarkH Guest

    Those are just different representations of the same number, are you really
    so dumb that you think that these are different numbers?
    1024(DEC) is a decimal representation of a number, the number itself is not
    particularly decimal.
    Err, this is not a debate about units of measurement for length, WTF has
    miles and kilometres got to do with anything?

    You are clearly too stupid to understand what I have clearly explained.
    Since you can’t distinguish between a number and it’s representation in
    whatever base it is pointless for me to explain further.

    MarkH, Sep 27, 2003
  15. Why are sectors done in 512byte increments then?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 27, 2003
  16. asdf

    Jay Guest

    1 is a round decimal. So is 2. And 3 is also a round decimal.
    Why even 7 is a round decimal. But wait - there's more. 11 is a round
    decimal just as 12 is a round decimal!
    Really?
    But is the court case about round numbers? Doesn't seem to be but you
    just might be extra well informed. Tell us, how is it about round numbers?
    And what sort of roundness do you mean?

    Yeah, right! That hard disk drive in 1955 sure was rated that way!
    Isn't that *the* truth.

    Jay, Sep 27, 2003
  17. asdf

    Jay Guest

    But even RAM is measured in decimal. Like decimal 1 as in 1GB.

    Jay, Sep 27, 2003
  18. asdf

    Jay Guest

    Because 512 is a decimal number, that's why.

    Jay, Sep 27, 2003
  19. No, it is not.

    "64Mb" is actually 67.1Mb if expressed decimally.

    And drives only started getting expressed in decimal Mb in the mid 1990s -
    about the time they started hitting 500Mb. Prior to that, "200Mb" _WAS_
    200MiB.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 27, 2003
  20. asdf

    Jay Guest

    They are not different "numbers"!

    1024 is decimal.
    0x400 is hex.
    02000 is octal.

    But you are trying to say that 1GB means 1024MB and I am saying that
    you are wrong.
    It is very decimal. You even said so yourself (DEC)!
    Should I explain?
    What a contradiction. Pointless to explain but here you are explaining away!

    Jay, Sep 27, 2003