    which I think may be the cause?! The pc was not in the room but the
    whole house was coated in dust. What is the best cause of action to
    clean the computer/fix the overheating?!

    rob.hornby, Jun 18, 2006

  2. rob.hornby

    samuel Guest

    wrote in

    start with unplug
    open case
    look inside

    samuel, Jun 18, 2006

  3. rob.hornby

    Whiskers Guest

    The best way to get rid of dust inside a computer, is to use a can of
    compressed air, as sold in computer shops for the purpose. Expect a /lot/
    of dust. Make sure that you clear out all the slots and crevices in
    'heat sinks' and all the fans, as well as blowing through the power-supply
    unit from the inside of the machine.

    Do not use a vacuum cleaner on the inside of the computer!

    Cooling fans do wear out; they are usually cheap but fiddly to replace.

    Whiskers, Jun 18, 2006
  4. rob.hornby

    Barry OGrady Guest

    That is very high.
    Very likely the CPU fan has stopped working, or there may be dust in the
    heatsink, or the heatsink may not be making good thermal contact with
    the CPU.
    My guess is most likely the fan.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jun 18, 2006
  5. rob.hornby

    rob.hornby Guest

    Mmmm, Not sure now - looking at the bios details and also another via
    Mother Board monitor 5 (app) the temp reads for the cpu 44 celcius
    (around 50 when the case is closed, case 38) which seems ok. Not sure
    why the pc keeps rebooting, it seems to be lasting longer now (i
    installed an old casing fan for some extra cooling). Not sure what
    sisoft was doing??!?!?!?!

    The computer is fairly dusty, esp the heat sinks so will try the air
    cleaning (can't unscrew the fan from the cpu as screws have been put in
    too tight))!

    Is there anything else that might cause the pc to reboot?!

    rob.hornby, Jun 18, 2006
  6. rob.hornby

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In thanatoid spewed forth: