Computer is Making a Buzzing Noise

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Monica, Dec 23, 2006.

  1. Monica

    Monica Guest

    It's doing it in equal or fairly equal intervals of every 5 minutes. It's
    not a vibration. It's like the old timey buzzer doorbells. It lasts about
    3 seconds. It's got to be some kind of signal or warning, right? I checked
    Device Manager and there are no problems showing up there. I haven't done
    a scan disk and I'm not getting any error messages or warnings. I don't
    *see* the problem in Event Viewer under Admin Tools.
    It's a Dimension 8400, P4, 3.2ghz. Bought in May of 05. Hard drives are
    Samsung SP1614C (pretty sure that's the one I added) and ST3160026AS. Both
    are SATA.
    OS is XP SP2. It seems like I've maybe heard this in the past, once or
    twice, but not every 5 minutes like it's been doing for the last few hours.
    Rebooted and it's still buzzing every five minutes. I don't see anything
    unusual
    running in Win Task Manager. My list in "Hijack This" is quite short and
    shows
    nothing new or out of the ordinary.
    Can someone offer some advice on what it is?
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Some of the that model Dells are susceptible to dust accumulating in the
    processor bearings so they can't turn freely and friction builds up-- that's
    what the noise is. Left unrepaired, your computer will slow down to a crawl.

    Pop the case, remove the big Pentium chip and dust off bearings and bearing
    race with a small artist's brush-- or blow out with a can of Dust Off.
    That'll do ya' and you'll be good to go.

    Doc

    John H. Holliday, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Doodette, it's the doorbell. There are some very persistant Jehovah's
    Witnesses out there, and they'd like a little of your time...

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Monica

    NewFox Guest

    have you installed windows Beesta?

    NewFox, Dec 23, 2006
  5. Monica

    Wab Guest

    If the machine has a floppy drive, that could be the trouble perhaps?

    Tony

    Wab, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Doc, would it make this 2.5-3 second buzz at even 5 minute intervals if it
    was a dust accumulation problem? I don't have a problem with opening the
    case and cleaning parts but it just seems like as *controlled* as this noise
    is, dust wouldn't be the issue.
    Monica

    Monica, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Well DUH! I guess I should have checked that first! <lol>

    Monica, Dec 23, 2006
  8. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Beesta, as in Vista? No, I haven't.

    Monica, Dec 23, 2006
  9. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Monica, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Monica

    philo Guest

    Check your motherboard manual ...
    could be an over-temp warning ???

    philo, Dec 23, 2006
  11. Such a sound at *some* decreasing intervals may indicate worn-out bearings
    of one of the fans - when the fan begins to vibrate and slow down, then
    gains speed again and runs for a short while until another resonance
    vibration. However ... that usually takes some 5 ... 30 seconds cycles, not
    5 minutes. You may really want to open the side door and take a closer
    look/listening.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 24, 2006
  12. Monica

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Dec 27, 2006
  13. Monica

    Monica Guest

    You bottom post AND make off topic remarks. I won't ask that you stop
    bottom posting and making me scroll thru endless conversation (that
    I've already read) and I'll do you a favor by continuing to top post so
    that you can easily see my reply.

    Monica, Dec 27, 2006
  14. The correct "usenet" style (this is NOT a google group!) should
    be "intermediate/bottom" posting with snipping all parts of a message one
    doesn't add a comment to.
    When following a discussion thread (that's what newsgroups are) top-posting
    would create a mess too soon.

    Top posting with full quotes (TOFU) is only common in business mails, for
    whatever reasons - maybe too many lawyers involved? ;-)

    Walter Mautner, Dec 27, 2006
  15. open the front cover and begin reading there?
    the back cover and end up at the front or do you
    chapter one or do you start somewhere near
    When reading a book, do you start at

    Usenet is not one-on-one email.

    If you top-post a reply to a message from several days ago, people will
    still need to scroll down to see what you are replying to, then scroll
    back up to read your response, because they will likely have forgotten
    the original points, or need to refresh their memory. Especially for
    someone who reads hundreds of posts every day.

    They would also need to figure out or guess at which points you are
    replying to, especially if the post is far along in a thread. Here's
    where good inline posting is valuable.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 27, 2006
  16. Monica

    J-McC Guest

    Try checking the fans, they are not very well made (I suppose what do
    you get for $5.00). Often I have found that they need a few drops of
    sewing machine oil. I often use a syringe to pierce the aluminium
    foil covering the bearings and inject a small amount of oil while the
    fan is running. Only insert a very minute amount!
    J McC.

    J-McC, Dec 27, 2006
  17. stop whining and train your brain to understand information that is not in a
    linear sequence. You have a brain don't you?
    That's what I do... top posting is so much better for too many reasons.
    The most important one is that you should not need to scroll to see a reply.
    The reply goes first.. and if you need clarification then you scroll.

    Just because some people don't like it, will not stop the world from going
    forward,
    and letting the bottom posting way slowly die as it deserves.

    The only reason to do add some information above a reply is when you are
    directly referring to portions of what someone said, for example commenting.

    Snipping is also so 1990's... with fast broadband speeds that most have or
    will have,
    there is no need for some idiots to keep complaining about leaving text like
    I am going to do here!

    gesh!

    red nosed reindeer, Dec 28, 2006
  18. "X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028"

    'Nuf said. <lol>

    Look up TOFU.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2006
  19. [deliberately, and painfully, top-posting]

    The purpose of snipping is not (just/anymore) saving bandwith, but keeping a
    discussion thread in a readable state. Since newsgroups still are
    store-and-forward, not everyone will see all messages in order, or some
    messages may get lost/blacklisted/blocked in between.

    Adding information (replying) above a "reply" - you mean a paragraph of a
    never get as long as chapters in essays, and your screen is big enough to
    cover both parts even in correct readable order.

    With bottom-posting dying away, the whole usenet will be obsoleted by web
    discussion groups, with big impact on searchability, all the questions
    already answered and archived by Google, will get lost in oblivion, and
    mankinds knowledge pool will end up disrupted, owned by single people or
    companies, locked away in some advocates safes or protected data storage
    areas. Every bit of knowledge will have to be paid for, and freedom of
    speech can only be practiced at Hyde park corner, not the internet anymore.

    Of course, bottom-posting fullquote essays is as bad as TOFU.
    If a post is trimmed accordingly, there is rarely a need to scroll.

    Yes, I do have.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 28, 2006