    It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though I've
    seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.

    Outlook Express, XP.

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    Well there's no doubt still enough keys on the keyboard to include a
    sleep and hibernate - and that's probably what you
    unknowingly/unwittingly did.

    So have a looksee at the wee symbols at the top of the keyboard - I
    think you'll find one that looks like a "sleep" symbol, and that it's
    set to hibernate the PC on press - usually it requires a combination of
    a special 'Function' key on the keyboard - however some keyboards have a
    single, sleep keypress, function.

    I wouldn't worry about it.

    Dave Doe, Sep 11, 2013

  3. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:

    Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
    software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
    worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
    Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
    certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the only
    thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows key
    together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

    Or you might have a keyboard that has special keys to get the machine to
    hibernate (perhaps as well as shut down, stand by, open browser / email /
    Media player) and you accidently hit the hibernate key?
    No. Nothing like that.
    It sounds like it's something messed up with Windows maybe... Hopefully
    someone with more knowledge will chime in. Otherwise if it keeps doing it
    maybe time for the computer man?

    Like your blue screen the other day, if it's a one-off then ignore it.
    However if it happens repeatedly it could be a sign of something out of
    whack that needs attention. In fact the two thing could conceivably be
    related... However, as I said, Windows stuff is not my strong-suit.
    Yeah, it's actually confusing (at least to me). They can 'hibernate' and
    'stand by', with various degrees of each / either. One saves everything to
    memory, the other to the hard drive so it's quicker to resume where you left
    off rather than turning the computer off, then on again later.

    However in my opinion these 'sleep states' are more useful for laptops than
    desktops. (I don't like them though, even with my laptop I don't use them.)
    Well done. Folks can't help if they don't know what you're using. ;-)

    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help - or it won't happen again.

    Best,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2013
  4. Unless it's a laptop and it is shutting down to save battery ? I don't think
    Geo runs a laptop, but ... ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2013

  5. Dead simple Right click on the desktop a empty part ie Wallpaper
    select Properties then screen saver the select the Power icon near the
    bottom , then select the power schemes like Home/Office then select the
    Hibernate tab and make sure the Enable hibernate is not ticked.

    Frank Williams, Sep 11, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thank you. I did all that, there was "system hibernates" saying "Never".
    Enable hibernate wasn't there, I suppose that is the same thing.
    So it shouldn't have hibernated. Perhaps it was just a bug.

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thank you. I can't see anything like that on this keyboard. There are Undo,
    Find, Save etc.

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  8. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    No, she has a desktop. Even so, my laptop won't hibernate even if the
    battery is dying. It'll just turn off when there's no jiuce left. Did I
    mention I dislike hibernation et al? <g>

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I don't think I could do that accidentally. The bird could do it, but he
    wasn't out of his cage.
    Can't see anything.
    .............>
    Yes, he'll have to have a look soon, some odd things happen.
    Trend micro has picked up some web threats recently. To my surprise they
    seem to be Bible sites!
    Unless somebody is just using that sort of name.
    Thank you, I've answered above.

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    No, I haven't got a laptop. This computer runs off the mains and the phone
    line.

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    The Bible is not an invented "scam" in the way a certain modern cult is!

    It is a collection of ancient books of religion, history, philosophy and the
    wisdom of many centuries.
    We can believe as much of it as we like, or none of it at all. ( I'm
    agnostic).
    I find the New Testament an insight into the concerns of a distant part of
    the Roman Empire, and various cities around the Eastern Mediterranean
    It has had in influence on our own history for the last two thousand years.
    And many of the Bible characters also appear in the Koran.

    If younger children are to have a secular education, without the Sunday
    School type Bible stories, fair enough.
    But perhaps these days the Bible should be treated like the Greek and Roman
    classics, now available in translation on the internet.
    Teenagers could be well advised to read whatever interests them of those,
    and draw their own conclusions.
    Treat the Bible in the same way.

    But what has this got to do with computers?

    geopelia, Sep 12, 2013
  13. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    [snip]
    No it wasn't, it was about a computer. As usual you chose what you want to
    see - in that way I put you in the same class as the bible thumpers who
    knock on my door - worse actually as they admit they're biased.

    This is a computer group. If you want to belittle and deride the bible why
    don't you go down to your closest Pacific Island church instead of picking
    on a kind and gentle woman from the safety of your computer? Oh, yeah, we
    all know why!

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Don't worry about me, we argue a lot over on nz.general.
    And the scammers may just have chosen a Bible page to attract victims.
    I'm often surprised at what Trend micro warns as a "dangerous page".

    But it's nice that somebody thinks I'm kind and gentle.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick", as Theodore Roosevelt is supposed to
    have said.
    Thank you.!

    geopelia, Sep 13, 2013
  15. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Something for you to think about - You and your ilk keep me out of
    nz.general by making it such a hostile place. Why shouldn't I abuse you when
    you then come to nz.comp with non-computer related guff, then calling me
    puerile?

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2013
  16. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Are you serious?

    "Engaging in personal abuse on the internet is a sign the poster has no
    argument, it's a sure sign of puerility."

    Next paragraph:

    "My post had no personal abuse. Yours on the other hand did."

    That *is* calling me puerile.

    I'm done - in to the killfile with you. I'm here to talk computers.

    ~misfit~, Sep 15, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    So she/he does not get the right of reply?

    Seems to mee there must be something else going on.

    Gordon, Sep 15, 2013
  18. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Do you think it would be about computers Gordon?
    You see something where there is nothing - as I said I'm here to talk
    computers and to ask or answer questions about them. I simply don't have any
    interest in - or time for - 'discussions', debates, arguments or
    dick-sizing. In fact I try to keep my life as free from conflict as I can. I
    find it curious that someone wouldn't believe that and question my motives.
    <shrug> Sign of the times I suppose.

    ~misfit~, Sep 15, 2013