Computer has become ridiculously slow!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stephanie, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    Hi, I have a Dell OptiPlex GXi Pentium I with 233 MHz, a 3 GB HD, and 160 MB
    RAM. I run Windows 98SE and IE 5.5. I have a cable Internet connection
    (Comcast).

    In the past month, it has taken me 15-60 seconds to download Internet pages,
    even for super lightweight sites that are cached! It used to be super fast,
    since I had cable. This started happening when my HD ballooned to 2.9 GB
    (only 100 MB free). Other operations, such as email, word processing, FTP,
    etc., appear to be unaffected.

    So I cleared space on my HD, and now have 1.7 GB free. I successfully did a
    disk cleanup, scan disk, and defragment a few days ago. I ran Lavasoft
    Ad-Aware 6.0 to clear spyware. I emptied my recycling bin. I clear my cache
    and history 3-4X per day. My cookies are clear.

    Nevertheless, my computer is still slow as ever! I noticed the more windows
    I have open, the slower it gets. Every day or so, I have to restart (or my
    computer crashes, and restarts itself automatically), in order to increase
    speed again. But even so, it is still slower than it should be. It never
    used to be this way. I used to be able to have tons of windows open
    simultaneously

    Also: my Win386.swp file has ballooned now from 30 MB to 139 MB. I don't
    know if this matters. I don't want to lower it, since Windows gives me a
    warning that if I do that, I may not be able to restart my computer. Plus, I
    forgot how to do this anyway.

    I don't know what us going on. Any advice?? Time for a new computer?

    Thanks!

    Stephanie

    Stephanie, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    also: when I try to cut and paste with too many windows open, the screen
    jumps up and down, and won't let me cut/copy the text. very annoying.

    Stephanie, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Stephanie

    Harrison Guest

    Stephanie,
    It sounds as if you've done all the right things, but are still having
    trouble.

    Please try the following:

    Change the swap file to 2.5 times memory - Right click My
    Computer>Properties>Performance Tab>Virtual Memory>Let me specify my
    own virtual memory settings
    Reboot

    Change the role of the machine -
    Right-click My Computer and choose Properties > Performance > File
    System. There you'll find that the Typical role is usually "Desktop
    Computer." If your PC has more than 32MB of RAM it'll operate slightly
    faster if you select "Network Server," even if it isn't really a
    server. (The Network Server setting uses a little more RAM for various
    disk buffers and caches to speed disk operations.) For most systems
    with abundant RAM, it makes sense to choose this server setting.

    Reset your cable modem.

    Download, install, update, and run Spybot Search and Destroy -
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Download, install, and run HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    and post your results back to this forum under a new title, "My
    HijackThis results. Be sure to hear back from Brian H, Mike, or myself
    before making any changes.

    One other thing you didn't mention was whether or not you have run a
    virus scan? If you haven't, please do so immediately. You can get a
    good free antivirus program at http://www.grisoft.com.

    Also, connect to Windows update and install all critical updates.

    Get back to us soon with results or follow up questions and issues.

    Harrison, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Stephanie

    Buffalo Guest

    This excerpt is from a Post by Jim Eshelman:

    "But the good news is that there are several things you can do to get the
    best out of what you have. I have a series of optimization articles that
    might be a good start. May I recommend these?

    Computer Health
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/health.htm

    Win98 & Win ME Memory Management
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

    Startup Program Loading
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/loads.htm

    Partition Planning
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/parts.htm

    Do You Have Parasites?
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm

    System Resources FAQ
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

    The trick is to find the exact bottlenecks for the particular
    activities you are attempting -- the points that slow down the exact thing
    you want to speed up.

    Jim Eshelman
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell/User
    http://aumha.org/
    http://WinSupportCenter.com/ "

    Hope this helps,
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Stephanie

    Buffalo Guest

    Are you suggesting that she should set the upper limit to 2.5 times physical
    memory, lower limit , or both?

    Buffalo, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Stephanie

    Harrison Guest

    Both. Setting the swap to one size prevents Windows from constantly
    resizing it.

    Harrison, Oct 8, 2003
  7. Stephanie

    Buffalo Guest

    Normally, setting an upper limit in Win98 is not a very good idea.
    Setting a lower limit to an amount just above what you use during heavy
    usage is sometimes handy to cut down on defragmentation of the Swapfile, but
    settting an upper limit can cause problems.
    This is a pretty informative link:
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

    Buffalo, Oct 8, 2003
  8. Stephanie

    °Mike° Guest

    Bad advice for a 9x system.

    °Mike°, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Stephanie

    °Mike° Guest

    It is more than likely due to the myriad of applications and
    windows your have installed/running/open. Clean up and
    streamline your startups. Add more memory, do NOT
    restrict your swap file - that will more than likely make
    things even worse.

    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 8, 2003