  1. vikenk

    J. Clarke Guest

    In the Windows world it has another meaning.

    J. Clarke, Jan 22, 2006

  2. vikenk

    MF Guest

    I'll tell you what __could__ cause exactly this symptom: a loose power
    connection on a CD/DVD drive. Odd, but true. You may have bumped it,
    knocking it loose.

    Another common cause is difference in the way the bios in the original
    machine and the bios in the machine you are swapping to interpret the disk
    geometry. If so, reformatting is the answer.

    The only thing you said about the hardware, is that the swap-to machine is a
    PIII (I think you said that). How old is it? How old is the original
    machine? It strikes me that there may be a large enough age difference to
    create a problem with the HAL.

    MF, Jan 25, 2006

  3. MF wrote:
    In the past I tried swapping a hard drive with win2000 to a second pc,
    and although this did not destroy my machine, I almost wished it had
    because of the hours of frustration this caused. I never got it
    configured right on the second computer, spent way too much time
    troubleshooting, monkeying with drivers, regedit, device manager, bios
    setup, etc. I finally threw in the towel and did the partition, format,
    re-install os, patches, updates, MB drivers, video drivers, etc. to get
    everthing working properly. Maybe XP if different? Andre

    Andre Mailhot, Jan 26, 2006
  4. vikenk

    MF Guest

    XP is no different. I've swapped lots of hard drives with various operating
    systems with no problem-- and swapped a few that simply wouldn't work in the
    new machine. Often AMD to Intel machines won't work. One machine to another
    that is 3-5 years newer or older often won't work. Some BIOSes to others
    won't work. And there is a possible chipset problem someone mentioned.
    Wiping and reformatting the drive cures the problem

    Mike

    MF wrote

    MF, Jan 27, 2006
  5. though. I could have tried to get to a command prompt and try some stuff,
    First of all, that should be FDISK /MBR, and it did solve a similar problem.

    Just another update. I bought a new hard drive for my laptop. I used Norton
    Ghost to clone my drive to my new hard drive in a USB enclosure. After I
    cloned it, the new drive wouldn't boot in my laptop. Came problem as my
    brother's computer, but this time it barely gets to the Welcome screen then
    hangs there.

    Went to symantec.com and checked their knowledge base. The recommended
    booting to a Win98 boot disk and using FDISK /MBR.

    I tried it, and it worked like a charm! Now I wonder if it would have
    worked with my brother's computer.

    Viken Karaguesian, Mar 25, 2006
  6. HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer
    HAL = IBM -1; (I -1 = H, B - 1 = A, M - 1 = L)

    WinXP_Powered, Apr 2, 2006