  1. heh

    heh Guest

    Maybe Power supply, or someone switched it over to 220v on ya!

    heh, Dec 3, 2003

  2. heh

    xhepera Guest

    I have a homebuilt computer that has run beautifully for several
    months now. A couple of days ago I turned it on and it started up,
    gave one beep and shut down. When I turn it on the hard drive light
    flashes briefly, there are a few seconds of fan noise, there is one
    beep as the mouse light (it's an optical) flashes, then the whole
    thing shuts down.

    I have checked to see that the case fans and CPU heatsink fan are
    spinning. They are. I checked the fan on my video card. It's spinning
    as well. I made sure that the vid card was seated properly. I also
    took the single stick of RAM out of its slot and reseated it, and
    checked all the cables, etc.

    In the absence of beep codes (other than the one beep) I've nothing to
    go on. Do any of you have any idea what the problem might be?

    The motherboard is a Biostar M7VIW
    CPU is an Athlon XP 2200+
    CPU heatsink/fan is a ThermalTake Volcano 9, running at full tilt
    (temp normally stays about 35 degrees C)
    Hard drive is a Western Digital 80 gig
    there is one stick (512M) of RAM
    AGP video card with 4M (GeForce/nvidia chipset)
    OS is Win2K

    The box has been running great and I've had no problems with it until
    now. I've done no hardware or software upgrades in months.

    Help please?

    xhepera, Dec 4, 2003

  3. heh

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you checked the power supply unit?

    °Mike°, Dec 4, 2003
  4. heh

    IC Guest

    If it's not being overclocked, it's probably a power supply problem as
    mentioned.

    IC, Dec 4, 2003
  5. heh

    IC, Dec 4, 2003
  6. heh

    Jerry G. Guest

    This may be a power supply failure. I would first try a new supply before
    spending time on anything else. If the CPU has been overclocked, try a new
    one at the same time. Make sure that the clock speed is correct for the CPU
    used, if the one you have is damaged.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Dec 4, 2003
  7. heh

    M Mullen Guest

    On 3 Dec 2003 21:19:01 -0800, (xhepera) wrote:

    |> I have a homebuilt computer that has run beautifully for several
    |> months now. A couple of days ago I turned it on and it started up,
    |> gave one beep and shut down. When I turn it on the hard drive light
    |> flashes briefly, there are a few seconds of fan noise, there is one
    |> beep as the mouse light (it's an optical) flashes, then the whole
    |> thing shuts down.

    Ahh that one BEEP what a lovely sound. I throw systems together every now and
    again, turn them on and wait for that single BEEP that says everythings fine.

    Others have mentioned the power supply, I wouldn't rule it out, as they can
    cause some off the wall problems.

    But the power supply supplies a power good signal (PG) to the bios. you would
    never get to that one BEEP without it. Fact is the only sound you would hear is
    the on/off switch :)

    When first start up do you see your video card info (top left of the screen)?
    cards good.

    Disconnect things:
    Floppy disk drive (a real show stopper)
    Hard drive (boot up with the floppy)

    Good luck.
    --
    o _ _ _
    _o /\_ _ \\o (_)\__/o (_)

    M Mullen, Dec 4, 2003
  8. heh

    xhepera Guest

    Thanks for the responses guys! I appreciate them. I'll try swapping
    out the power supply this evening. The current one is rated for 350
    watts. The spare I have on hand is only 300, but I'm told it should be
    sufficient. This likely falls under the "dumb question" heading, but
    is it possible that the PSU is the problem if the fan is still
    spinning? Also, should I clear the CMOS first?

    xhepera, Dec 4, 2003
  9. heh

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, it could still be the PSU. No, there's no reason to clear
    the CMOS, at least going by the information you have given.

    °Mike°, Dec 4, 2003
  10. heh

    xhepera Guest

    Once again guys, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I discovered
    what the problem was in a roundabout way. I checked the beep codes for
    the Award bios and learned that Award has very few beep codes,
    preferring to display error msgs on screen, so that when an Award bios
    does send beeps it's, as a rule, because the video system cannot be
    accessed. I also learned that one long beep is usually indicative of a
    RAM problem. But the beep I was getting was a short one.

    I took the stick of RAM from its slot and started the computer. I
    began to get a repeated long beep, unlike the one I was getting before
    in both duration and repetition. Sooooooo, I took everything apart,
    and placed the RAM into a different bank. Lo and behold the computer
    started up just fine! As a test, I put the RAM back into the former
    slot and started up. Again it started up just fine. So, here I am
    thinking that maybe the connector had a bit of dust or grunge or
    something on it and that was the problem.

    I put everything back together, closed up the case and started the
    computer. It did the exact same thing!!! So, I scratched my head a bit
    and thought about what I might have done differently. I realized that
    I had (when I took things apart) removed the two front USB devices (a
    PDA cradle and a smartmedia card reader), I unplugged them from the
    slots and it started up fine. :)

    To make a long story short, it appears that my machine does NOT like
    the card reader plugged in when it boots up. It has no problem with
    the PDA cradle, just the card reader. Normally, I leave this machine
    on 24/7, so I was never aware of this. The other night I turned it off
    and when I turned it back on this problem was the result. I've not
    encountered this before. I hope this doesn't fall under "things I
    should have known."

    In any case, thanks a bunch for the help. Even though it was neither
    power supply or RAM, your suggestions did lead me to figuring out what
    it was. And your advice, etc. will, I'm sure, be useful in future
    "catastrophes."

    xhepera, Dec 5, 2003