Computer Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elanio, Jul 12, 2006.

  1. Elanio

    Elanio

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Here are the specs for my computer:

    Compaq Presario
    Windows XP pro
    version 2002
    service pack 1

    AMD anthlon(tm) 1700
    1.1 gightz
    376MB Ram <--a lil befudled myself

    Linksys wireless G PCI-adpter

    Here is the problem. When I boot up, and log in, everything seems to be in order. Everything works fine no hangups or anything of the like. However after about 10 mins, the computer will Start to freeze up for a few minutes at a time. I usually have to wait it out untill it becomes un frozen. When it does, the internet usually disables itself, and re-enables a few seconds after it becomes unfrozen. I believe this to be the culprit, something Internet related. I do have Limewire and AIM installed on my computer. I already disabled both of them from running at start up in msconfig and the problem persists.

    I am running a Linksys wireless G card off the computer.

    Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! :burnout:

    Elanio, Jul 12, 2006

  2. Elanio

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First, make sure you have the latest drivers for both your Linksys wireless card and for the wireless router (firmware for the router). Many router issues are taken care of when you download / install the latest firmware updates.

    Second, scan for spyware / viruses. Spybot Search and Destroy is free, so you can try that one if you don't have something like Spy Sweeper.

    Third, view the system logs for errors being recorded. Maybe some application is hanging and then timing out, holding resources during this period.

    Fourth, if you are overclocking the CPU, memory, or videocard, back off on the overclock.

    bigal, Jul 14, 2006

  3. Elanio

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    I would first do that but then check at that ram, Crashes like put forth in your writing tend to be Ram problems.

    try running MemTest86+
    http://www.memtest86.com/

    unholy, Jul 14, 2006
  4. Elanio

    Elanio

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've got warnings for WinMgmt the Event is 5603 the user is system
    I've also got Eror warning for application hang category (101) event 1002
    I've also go Error warning for Pernet Event 2002
    These are in the application viewer

    In the system viewer, I got a zillion errors for atapi, which is the source and the event is 15

    What the hell is that? Graphics card? if so how do I rectify it?

    In addition, to answering your question, no it is not being overclocked, if it is it's purely accidental. This was my father's old office computer so I sincerely doubt he even knows what overclocking is.

    Thanks for all your help!
    Is this my problem?

    Elanio, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Elanio

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    the Atapi interface is the IDE interface - typically your hard drive or optical drives. Look at the time / date stamps and see if those are close to the times you experienced the problems. Problems talking to the hard drive can cause system freezes. You can try using another IDE cable (flat ribbon or rounded cable) and see if the errors go away. It's very possible you have a bad cable.

    Did you scan for spyware? Don't minimize this concern. Lots of people get spyware in their systems and it can bring a computer down to it's knees.

    bigal, Jul 19, 2006
  6. Elanio

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    1. Check for that spyware
    2. Make sure ur cd drives arent playing up (eg check cables)
    3. take out cd drives altogether
    4. if u have a spare HDD test that and boot from that. (remove old ones)

    then tell us if ur still having problems :)

    unholy, Jul 19, 2006
  7. Elanio

    Elanio

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks.. I am scanning for spyware right now using AVG's ewido program.
    Next I'll open it up and check for any loose connections, if not, then I'll try switching out the cable.

    Before I do that, I noticed that my time stamp does not match up with the current time. I've gone in once before to set it to the correct time, by dbl clicking the time stamp in the bottom right corner and changing it. Then After I restarted the time is completly out of whack and wrong.. Could this also be a possible symptom as to what is wrong?

    Cheers!:beer:

    Elanio, Jul 19, 2006
  8. Elanio

    ZERO7476

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    You should change your CMOS battery if it is an older PC, it might be dying and that's what keeps the time. Can hurt.

    Does it lock up when your doing anything specific? Or is it pretty random?

    ZERO7476, Jul 19, 2006
  9. Elanio

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yer a CMOS battery would help keep the time, but considering ur using a default set bios, it shouldn't be a major concern :)

    unholy, Jul 20, 2006
  10. Elanio

    Elanio

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yea, It locks up randomly, almost pattern like.. I'd say I'd have about 2-3 minutes, then it'd freeze for 5mins.. Repeat..

    Although Since I have re-started the computer, without changing the date/time It has not froze up.. It's hiccuped, like a 5-10 freeze but no prolong freeze. I also have only had the computer on for a few hours, where as previously, it was on for prolonged periods 3-5 days.

    I will Def. Post if the problem persists, but for now It has seemed to fade away.
    Is that possible?

    Elanio, Jul 20, 2006
  11. Elanio

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Anything is possible, within reason. Random problems typically appear random until you detect the sequence of events that triggers them. In you case, I would definatley swap out the IDE cables. They are cheap and they are a likely source of a problem, given your Atapi errors.

    bigal, Jul 21, 2006
  12. Elanio

    Elanio

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    BigAl..

    I tried chaning the Ribbon.. Well after I did so, and powered up, the computer is reading, "no operating system found press any key."

    any suggestions?

    Elanio, Jul 24, 2006
  13. Elanio

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Make sure the primary hard drive is on the end of the IDE cable that is not blue, and make sure the other blue end is plugged into your motherboard IDE 0 (if you have IDE 0 / 1 ports) or IDE 1 (if you have IDE 1 / 2 ports). Your primary hard drive is the boot drive, and it should always be at the end of the cable. A secondary hard drive could be attached to the middle connector. Also, make sure you are using a modern IDE cable that has about 40 wires in it. These cables have been out for about 3 years, but it's still possible to find older ones from the late 1990's that have about 20 wires. You need the 40-wire version because it has lots of ground wires to aid in isolation, thereby preventing cross talk problems.

    bigal, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Elanio

    alpha1

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    try running chkdsk.
    let see first if you got a bad cluster.

    alpha1, Jul 28, 2006
  15. Elanio

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The "no OS found" error could also be a result of your CMOS battery failing, and the CMOS becoming corrupted or reset to default. Some computer builds use SATA drives in RAID arrays, and the CMOS needs to know what to boot from - the normal (default) IDE hard drive or the SATA array. I have such a system, and it won't boot if I reset the CMOS to default settings. I must go into the BIOS and tell it to use the SATA array as the primary boot device.

    You were experiencing time / date issues before. You should have already replaced that CMOS battery (usually model 2032) days ago. If you didn't, then do it now. Also check that you made the IDE connections properly.

    bigal, Jul 29, 2006
  16. Elanio

    Elanio

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey guys.. Thanks for all your help and Feed Back. Bigal I tried to replace the ribbon but like I said it didn't work. Just to see if it would at least boot back up, I replaced the original ribbon. Worked fine, and is working fine. I think you were right about the ribbon, but it didn't need replacing, just had to be pushed in I believe. Since I took it out and put the same one back in, I've had zero problems with freezing. Thanks!

    Elanio, Aug 7, 2006