    Dell T3400, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz (not overclocked), 8GB RAM

    Thanks,
    Don Culp

    Don Culp, Jan 21, 2009

  2. Don Culp

    Carlos Guest

    Don,
    Let's start with the usual stuff.
    - Check event viewer (Start, Run, eventvwr.msc) and see if you can find any
    leads in Windows logs (Application and System).
    - Are mouse and keyboard regular vanilla PS/2 hardware?
    - Are they USB or wireless with special drivers (-> update driver)?
    - If they are wireless, check batteries
    - What happens if, during a freeze situation, you plug an extra keyboard or
    mouse? Do you have control? This last issue happened to me and I could gain
    control of the cursor and keyboard by plugging an additional keyboard and
    mouse. This way I could finish my task and turn off the pc gracefully.
    - Did you change any settings or install any software before the freezings
    started?
    - Can you do a system restore to a date when it was not freezing?

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 21, 2009

  3. Don Culp

    Carlos Guest

    Don,
    If your hd's are connected to a jmicron chipset, there's an update today
    (ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/Win2k_xp_Vista) that fixes the mouse
    freezing after resuming from standby.
    Please note that this update is specific for that chipset.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 22, 2009
  4. Don Culp

    Chris Guest

    my computer has done the same thing now this morning. but i didnt update that
    i know of so now it tried to upload xp 64 bit and then it went to the chckdsk
    thing. and i let it do this process and it said some error but now everytime
    i restart it it crashes at the boot menu.

    im running a mineral oil computer, meaning there is no cd drive. how do i
    fix this. it wont even go to safe mode

    Chris, Feb 22, 2009