    Any ideas, or is this normal and all that is needed is patience?
    Thank you
    Sue Norman

    Sue Norman, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Sue Norman

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Sue Norman said:
    Run it in Safe Mode.
    If you have Win98 you might like to scrap your 16bit defrag and replace it with
    the 32bit version.
    Link on my software page.

    Brian H¹©, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Sue Norman

    trout Guest

    Have a look at °Mike°'s defrag page:
    <http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html>

    trout, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Sue Norman

    Mellowed Guest

    You might check to see if your Hard Drive is set to DMA. That will make
    a very big difference. Go to My Computer, right click, Properties,
    Device Manager, Select Disk Drives, Select Properties on your Hard
    Drive, Go to SETTINGS, see if you have a DMA option. If so, make sure
    that the box has an 'check mark' in it.

    : I am trying to defrag the family computer. In 24 hours it has only
    : defragged 3%! This computer does get alot of use, with programs being
    : downloaded and deleted, but is it normal for it to take so long? I
    know
    : the last time it I defragged it took about 4 hours. How do I speed up
    : the process? I have closed all the programs that are on the taskbar.
    : also used the Control-Alt-Delete to see what else could be running,
    but
    : I think the open programs are needed to run the computer. Before I
    : started defragging I used the scan disk application. It is a Gateway
    : desktop, 60 GB with 23 in use.
    :

    Mellowed, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Sue Norman

    Sue Norman Guest

    Thanks for the quick replies, I should have mentioned I am using ME 2000.

    Sue Norman, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Sue Norman

    Sue Norman Guest

    I checked but there is not a DMA option, I'm going to check out Mike's
    defrag page.

    Sue Norman, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Have you watched its progress, at least for a little while? Does it get to
    3% & then start all over again, & again, & again...? If that's what's
    happening, try running the defrag in Safe Mode. This happened to me -
    except it would hit 10% before starting over repeatedly; running it in Safe
    Mode worked.

    (Do a restart, then hit the F8 key repeatedly when it starts to come back
    up. You'll get a menu where you can choose Safe Mode. Run the defrag, & if
    successful this time hen the defrag's done, do another restart & let it come
    up as usual. Btw - don't forget to turn off the screensaver if there's
    normally one on, before defragging.)

    Cathy
    [/QUOTE]

    Cathy Friedmann, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Sue Norman

    Sue Norman Guest

    Cathy,
    Thanks for the tips. I went to Mike's defrag page and once I figured out which
    programs to leave running, it is FLYING!!! I am 55% done already.
    Thanks all! This is a great newsgroup, I have always found solutions here.
    Happy New Year All!
    Sue

    [/QUOTE]

    Sue Norman, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Sue Norman

    Boomer Guest

    And Google is a good search engine if you ever need further info.
    Plus usenet archives at http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
    [/QUOTE]

    Boomer, Jan 6, 2004
  10. Sue Norman

    Sue Norman Guest

    Thanks Boomer, think I will bookmark that page too!

    Sue Norman, Jan 6, 2004
  11. Sue Norman

    Boomer Guest

    Great. :) Thanks, Sue!