Computer crashes using AOL9

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RCB, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. RCB

    RCB Guest

    Hi,

    I just built an inexpensive computer for a friend's mom who's lives a couple
    of hours away. Everything works well (a captive audience) until she tries
    to log onto the internet using aol9 and then suddenly she gets the BSOD.
    Components are listed below:

    Chassis: Codegen L-6018-1-S2F (SECC w/400 PS)
    MB: Albatron KX400-8X
    CPU: AMD XP2000+
    Ram: Crucial 256mb pc2100
    vid: MSI Geforce4 MX4000-T64 (w/ latest nvidia 6.1.77 drives); DX 9.0b
    installed
    modem: USR oem V.92 (Conexant chipset 6.01.12) softmodem 3090 (drivers from
    USR ftp link)
    HDD: WD 40gb w/8 mb cache
    FDD & CD: Sony pulls from the old Pentium system
    OS: XP Pro w/SP1
    anti virus + firewall: PC Trillin 8.1

    Will aol 8.0 be better than 9?
    I may not be able to get to her place for a couple of weeks to take a closer
    look myself. Until then I've been trying to problem solve by phone. Any
    suggestions would be most helpful. TIA.

    -Randall

    RCB, Aug 23, 2004

  2. RCB

    madmax Guest

    Ask her to start the AOL and write down the error code.
    You could have put in a little more ram for her :)
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail

    madmax, Aug 23, 2004

  3. RCB

    Scraggy Guest

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/familyalbum1/AOHell.jpg