Computer continually reboots following processor upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vincent Wonnacott, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I have just bought an XP1700 processor for a MS6561 board, with 512 DDR
    PC2100. (was running Athlon 1ghz)

    Since installing the processor the machine reboots constantly when booting
    into windows. I can go into bios and stay there for a long period, its only
    when trying to boot to windows it seems to go as it goes past the "start
    windows nomally" screed.

    I thought maybe there was a problem with the windows installation and went
    to go through a repair, although again when booting to the cd it again
    reboots when it starts the analysing windows part.

    I was hesitant of a setting being incorrect as like I say in the bios
    settings it seems to tick over nicely without attempting to reboot.

    I have the cpu clock set at 133 and the dram at 266 and have tried adjusting
    the dram timing to "safe" which seemed to get the board further but only
    marginally. I am unsure of any other timing settings to try if any.

    Any advice appreciated.

    Vincent

    Vincent Wonnacott, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Vincent Wonnacott

    Plato Guest

    Did you check in advance that your motherboard can do the new CPU and
    the new RAM?

    Or did you just cross your fingers and hope for the best?

    Plato, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Yep the board support "upto XP1700"

    And as the DDR was used prior to upgrade - I know this is good!

    Vincent
    Doug, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Vincent Wonnacott

    Doug Guest

    almost forgot to add...

    Also, it is very possible that before the upgrade, your power supply may
    have been weak or possibly faulty..

    In this case upgrading the CPU would of course cause the power supply to
    work a bit harder at supplying power to all devices and the cpu, so its
    possible this has caused the power supply to show that is has a problem, if
    you have a extra power supply I would recommend using it to test this
    theory.

    Also try removing the cmos battery, setting the jumper to clear cmos and
    leave it there a good 5-10minutes. unplugged of course. (unplug the power
    supply from the motherboard during the time of clearing cmos as well)

    // Doug

    Doug, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Vincent Wonnacott

    Doug Guest

    If all else fails, use the old cpu and remove all drivers from the system,
    then insert the new cpu and boot and load drivers again.. (all inclding
    video, sound ect..)

    // Doug

    Doug, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Vincent Wonnacott

    Ant Guest

    Ehmm, How do you put AMD CPU's in Intel Motherboards.

    Ant, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Vincent Wonnacott

    Dan Evans Guest

    It's a K7 board.

    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=745_Ultra&class=mb

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 25, 2004
  9. Doug

    Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

    I have still not resolved the matter and have tried the following:

    I have replaced the hard drive for a new drive to eliminate a conflict with
    chipset drivers, this had no effect.

    Itried replacing the CPU fan with an extremely large Akasa fan I had made
    for a 2600 processor, although doesnt matter what I did I got the
    "overheating" beep code (there is of course sufficent thermal compound). The
    cpu fan that is fitted was the one with the 1GHZ, but it is quite
    substantial, and does not give any overheat warnings.

    I havent yet tried the remove battery option, although when installing I did
    reset bios, and the processor is recognised correctly when the FSB is set to
    266/133

    I dont have a spare power supply unfortunately, I tried disconnecting the
    two disc drives and floppy to take some strain away from the power draw,
    although again had no effect.

    Any other ideas appreciated.

    Vincent

    Vincent Wonnacott, Sep 25, 2004