    HOW DO I FORCE WINDOWS TO RECHECK THE AMOUNT OF BITES ON MY HARD DRIVE AND
    RESET THEM.

    Using XP Professional

    Me/PDX, May 16, 2004

  2. Me/PDX

    °Mike° Guest

    Why are you SHOUTING?

    °Mike°, May 16, 2004

  3. Me/PDX

    el duderino Guest

    SHOUT AT IT!

    el duderino, May 16, 2004
  4. HOW DO I FORCE WINDOWS TO RECHECK THE AMOUNT OF BITES ON MY HARD DRIVE AND
    If the hard disk has bites in it, you should replace the disk. If you
    want data error monitoring and correction, use a RAID system:

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/r/RAID.html

    Alexander Rogge, May 16, 2004
  5. Me/PDX

    John Guest

    This is a VERY complex issue.
    You are not really asking about recounting the bytes, it appears you
    are interested in recovering space which is wasted. There are many many
    ways this can happen under Windows, and many of them don't require any
    actual errors in the counting of addresses on the drive.

    So what you need is to read some articles on drive maintenance; I
    suggest the PCMAG.COM and PCWORLD.COM magazines, plus any other major
    magazines and sites. (tomshardware.com, zdnet.com, cnet.com, etc.) You
    should find many hundreds of good articles.

    Some basics and common things people check into:
    the internet cache directory
    any temp files directories
    converted files directories
    scratch disk files that are unused
    duplicate files
    archived and compressed files that are no longer needed

    John, May 17, 2004