    right and i still cannot connect.
    I use a belkin f5d7050 wifi usb dongle and a belkin f5d7230-4 router.
    --

    computergeek3000, Oct 31, 2008

  2. computergeek3000

    Paul Guest

    According to the article here, the latest pc-cillin versions have a firewall,
    and you could start by disabling that. It is apparently a two
    way fire wall, so it should have been presenting a dialog box,
    saying "application X is trying to dial out". Have a browse through
    the configuration panel for the product, and see if the firewall
    is mentioned in there. The firewall feature will interfere with IP
    networking.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-cillin

    AV products are busy in the background, intercepting data going to and from
    the hard drive, doing background scans, and perhaps doing something similar
    for web browsing and the like. Some products are very intrusive, and
    you end up feeling more like a "guest" on your computer, rather than
    the "owner".

    To give an example of how bad some of these features work, I had
    an AV program on the computer, and if I go to My Computer, do
    a Properties on one of my listed volumes, attempt to do
    "Disk Cleanup", without the AV running, that might take
    10 to 20 seconds to complete. (The computer is figuring out
    what temporary data can be discarded.) With the AV enabled,
    it might take 5 to 10 minutes for that to run, and in the
    Task Bar, the AV is running all the time during that interval.
    As the "Disk Cleanup" thing is running, every file referenced
    by Disk Cleanup, is being checked by the AV software, which
    is just stupid. That is when I no longer feel like I own my
    computer. I have to walk away, until the disk grinding stops.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 1, 2008

  3. what would be the soulition to this problem.
    And I uninstalled pc cillin too.

    computergeek3000, Nov 1, 2008
  4. computergeek3000

    Paul Guest

    I find the most encouraging part of your problem description,
    to be that DNS is working.

    If you open a DOS window, and type

    nslookup www.sun.com

    it returns the right answer ? I get 72.5.124.61 here.

    If you then go to your browser, and try

    http://72.5.124.61

    does the web page appear ? (Sun Microsystems home page)

    For a ping test, it looks like my news server still supports
    ping. Many sites have turned off ping support, so you wouldn't
    get an answer. In the DOS box, try

    ping nntp.aioe.org

    ping 194.177.96.26

    You should see four reply packets in each case.

    According to this, DNS uses UDP on port 53. That means
    a packet was able to make it to your router box, do a
    DNS query, and return to your computer. I presume a bunch
    of underlying stuff must be working OK, for that to happen.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

    I think that is why I'm fixated on a firewall issue.

    For example, I found a page here, with suggestions
    on how to configure PC-cillin firewall, so an application
    can "punch through". I know you've already mentioned you've
    uninstalled the TrendMicro software - perhaps you could put
    it back, and experiment with this stuff.

    http://www.ctimls.com/Support/KB/How To/Configure_PCcillin.htm

    If I was debugging an Ethernet (wired) problem, I'd use
    Wireshark to watch the packets. I don't know of a good
    tool, that is going to provide more evidence of what the
    problem is with Wifi.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 1, 2008
  5. I uninstalled pc-cillin and still get the problems.
    and my pc takes 15 minuts to boot up.
    I might be switching to linux now that im haveing all these problms.

    computergeek3000, Nov 2, 2008
  6. computergeek3000

    John Holmes Guest

    computergeek3000 "contributed" in alt.computer:
    "computergeek" eh?
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

    John Holmes, Nov 2, 2008

    David Marshall Lemcoe Jr., Nov 2, 2008
  8. computergeek3000

    HLS Guest

    I think you should postpone Linux until you get the present issues solved.

    I like Linux, but wouldnt want to install it on a machine that is already
    misbehaving.

    HLS, Nov 4, 2008
  9. computergeek3000

    Paul Guest

    I actually use Linux, to scan for viruses on the Windows hard drive :)

    So there are good reasons, even on a misbehaving machine. My recommendation
    now, after some experiments, is that while the LiveCD versions do allow
    booting from the CD, if you do serious work that way, you should set
    up a swap partition on the hard drive. Even a little swap partition
    helps prevent it from running out of RAM and crashing the window manager
    (argh).

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 4, 2008
  10. What should i do to fix up my pc.
    I UNINSTALLED trend micro internet security and it is still slow.
    What should i do to fix it?

    computergeek3000, Nov 5, 2008
  11. I cannot reinstall windows.
    I do not have a removable hard disk and i need to back up about 30gb of
    vidios,mp3s and game saves.
    Anyway I should upgrade my hdd and reinstall windows from the new one a
    recover the data.
    and another thing is.
    I got a hp pc and then a couple of years later i got a new asus motherboard
    so the recovery cd wont work.
    what should i do

    computergeek3000, Nov 5, 2008
  12. computergeek3000

    Paul Guest

    OK, what symptoms can you give me ? What do you see on the
    screen of the computer, during the 15 minute startup ?
    Is the time spent in the BIOS ? Has the Windows desktop
    appeared ?

    If you go to control panels, look in Administrative Tools,
    and use the Event Viewer, do you see any error messages in
    there ?

    After the computer has finished its epic 15 minute boot,
    when you do Control-Alt-Delete and bring up the Task
    Manager, are there any strange processes running in there ?
    (Yeah, I know your question is going to be, "what is strange",
    but humor me. You're being a detective here, and looking
    for clues.)

    In terms of tests, you can test the hard drive. The manufacturer
    of your disk drive will have a diagnostic you can download.
    You can run that, if you suspect the slow operation is due
    to an actual problem with the disk. But somehow I doubt that
    would be it, because more than likely it would have crashed
    by now if that was the problem.

    A disk can be slow, if it operates in PIO (polled I/O mode).
    Whether that would cause it to take 15 minutes to boot,
    is another question.

    This is a bit humorous. You're supposed to uninstall all the
    stuff in the list, before you install the Trend Micro :)
    That must be a list of just about every product in existence.

    http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1035951&id=EN-1035951

    I don't see any mention of a special uninstaller. Some AV
    products, you have to go to the web site and download
    an uninstaller, and even then may have trouble removing it.

    "How do I remove Trend Micro Internet Security Pro and
    Trend Micro Internet Security from my computer?"

    http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1036064&id=EN-1036064

    This page gives some idea of how complicated the startup process is.
    Maybe you'll get a few hints here, such as starting up in
    Safe Mode. If it starts faster, then that is another clue
    for you. Safe Mode removes certain elements of the system
    from starting.

    "Troubleshooting the Startup Process (WinXP)"

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 5, 2008
  13. computergeek3000

    HLS Guest

    Lots of people use Linux in such a manner, but I dont think computergeek is
    quite
    at that level yet.

    HLS, Nov 5, 2008
  14. I might get my freiends hdd and windows disk and use that. and reinstall
    windows
    I also know how to change product keys too.
    I should do thta

    computergeek3000, Nov 6, 2008
  15. I also forgot to say Im going to try sea tools and my hdd is a 80gb seagate
    sata.

    computergeek3000, Nov 6, 2008